Armed forces reserve medal
Create Post

Armed forces reserve medal

I recently completed short tour Ados orders in Germany. I am now eligible for the GWOT medal and Overseas Ribbon. What I want to know is if I am also eligible for the armed forces reserve medal. I read online on a variety of sites and it says as long as you are supporting a contingency operation. I read up on what that is and afghanistan qualifies. Now, the thing is..you don't have to serve in the area of operations to "support" the operation. I want to know if supporting the GDP-RSM MRE in Germany counts as supporting a contingency operation. I'm sure it does. The training was the final prep for the afghan deployment. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    As far as I am aware ADOS orders do not qualify you, you need to be on Title 10 or Title 14 orders/mobilization in support of an operation.

I kept searching and I found that you do not have to actually deploy to afghanistan. Afghanistan, Iraq are grouped under GWOT. GWOT is the actual contingency. Here's the kicker.. If you volunteer for a deployment with BSRF then you rate it. BSRF doesn't even go close to Afghan but they are supporting by training troops. That's what I did. I was also on ADOS-CO orders. I found out CO stood for contingency operation. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	28645 Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	28646

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    It'd be as simple as just looking at a copy of your actual orders, it will say on there if it falls under Title 10(or 14) or not. But no you do not have to deploy in a combat zone/area of operation to rate the medal.

Sounds like you have it figured out though...

Honestly Sgt, I didn't know it would say title 10. I missed the last Afghan deployment by a week (dang Lima holding Co.) This was my first time on orders since MOS school and I'm just trying to get what I can because I know opportunities like what I did are dwindling. This drawdown is going to leave a lot of reservists with only one ribbon. Lord forbid they stop awarding the National Defense. But thank you though. I appreciate your responses.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DTJ View Post
    Honestly Sgt, I didn't know it would say title 10. I missed the last Afghan deployment by a week (dang Lima holding Co.) This was my first time on orders since MOS school and I'm just trying to get what I can because I know opportunities like what I did are dwindling. This drawdown is going to leave a lot of reservists with only one ribbon. Lord forbid they stop awarding the National Defense. But thank you though. I appreciate your responses.
    no worries, I am a reservist also so I completely understand...I got lucky though and had the opportunity to do a combat deployment to Afghan is 2011/2012 where I got all stacked up.

Thread Information