Hello im new.. interested in becoming a marine
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello im new.. interested in becoming a marine

I'm new here.
    I'm making a thread here because I want to join the marines.
    Problem...
    I'm on probation for a dui, which is 36 months, and I won't see the judge until August 4, or 5 months from now (and my license will be reinstated btw). The recruiter I spoke with said, she can't let me go to San Diego (I live 3 hrs North) for recruit training etc. I explained to her how my dad is also a marine, (withheld him not being active, but said he was (is) a marine)

because of my dui probation, which is 36 months, for driving with alc in me and blowing .12 (legal limit 0.08)
    she said she can't...?
    I did not ask her if I could ask someone else, because that right there already sounds dishonest.

so here I am, is there a different recruiter I can talk to? she seemed like such a great person and was trying to do all she could, but although it was our one and only time talking on the phone (for ten minutes) she ultimately seemed like her hands were tied. I need to be off probation for a first offense dui? I'm 26 years old, that would mean I wouldn't be eligible to join until I was 29ish...

It SEEMS TO ME like they don't want to see the person first? but rather just to see if they are a... seemingly pristine human being? I get that you shouldn't be a law breaking monster and be able to join the marines, but I am just curious some tips here:

Should I have just went in to the office, rather than called first?
    She got my information and told me she'd text me at some point in the future and see how the probation thing was going. She seemed like she was pulling for me (my interpretation of the phone call).

Surely forgot somethings here, but yeah, i'm interested in being infantry ground combat. I have a bachelors degree but not at this time in my life willing to lead marines in to war (and someone mentioned me being an officer, just because I have a bachelors degree.. I want to start just like everyone else tbh, or am I being foolish)

thx, sry for the forever post, take your time

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    You cannot enlist or ship out to boot camp with pending/active litigation(legal issues)

A recruiter isn't even going to waste their time with you since you are on probation.

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    Third entitlement poster in a row.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Today's Corps is too PC. Back in the day they wanted men who wanted to fight for our Country. Today...they want Monks with a college degree. In my day, being a ninth grade dropout on probation, looked good on your resume. It was almost a guarantee you would be a grunt. You were born in the wrong era my friend.

By the way twinkle toes, Marine or Marines is to be capitalized at all times, we have earned it, Good Luck, Semper Fidelis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    Today's Corps is too PC. Back in the day they wanted men who wanted to fight for our Country. Today...they want Monks with a college degree. In my day, being a ninth grade dropout on probation, looked good on your resume. It was almost a guarantee you would be a grunt. You were born in the wrong era my friend.
    Yep, The Corps is a much different animal these days. About 180 degrees from what it used to be.

the big thing is, besides what Mongoose and others have stated as well, the Military all around can pick and choose whom they want, it seems that everyone wants to be a Marine now a days, and with the down sizing going on, their being a lot more picky,, the best thing we can tell you is wait until after your legal problems have been taken care of, then talk to a Recruiter and see what transpires then.. you will undoubtedly still need a waver though..

best of luck to you..

I stopped reading at "I'm on probation."

Quote Originally Posted by irpat54 View Post
    the big thing is, besides what Mongoose and others have stated as well, the Military all around can pick and choose whom they want, it seems that everyone wants to be a Marine now a days, and with the down sizing going on, their being a lot more picky,, the best thing we can tell you is wait until after your legal problems have been taken care of, then talk to a Recruiter and see what transpires then.. you will undoubtedly still need a waver though..

best of luck to you..
    It seems like everybody wants to be a Marine today. To think that back in the day everybody said we were crazy. Hummmm, that a good question, were we crazy before we joined the MC, or did we go crazy after? <script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/b5a38d43/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by advanced View Post
    It seems like everybody wants to be a Marine today
    kids trying to skate in and ride the coat tails of all of us OIF/OEF vets, thinking they will get something from it and get to do it themselves

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    """It SEEMS TO ME like they don't want to see the person first? but rather just to see if they are a... seemingly pristine human being?""""===No, not pristine, but merely adhering to set standards. As someone else remarked, the OP is the third person this week to question enlistment standards and requirements. All three should sit back, relax, and have a nice hot cup of Common Sense.

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    I'm amazed when they say, as they nearly always do, that they have wanted to be a Marine since they were three years old. For fks sake, act like it then, instead of getting in trouble, getting tattoos, doing this or that then biitching and moaning about it later, how the Corps prevented him from entertaining his lifelong desire.

Your character really showed through when you told the recruiter that your dad was a Marine (sic) and not active. That misleading comment to us here on this forum was dumb. You think we'd get a laugh about that kind of behavior? Wrong. And on probation? And the audacity to say "Ewe" didn't want to lead Marines. Man, you're stuffed bigger than the Pillsbury Dough Boy. The Marine Corps is not a simple Simon undertaking. You are far - far from being a candidate.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    All three should sit back, relax, and have a nice hot cup of Common Sense.
    Kool-Aid and a blankie........

Thread Information