How would I possibly go to boot camp at Parris Island?
Create Post
    Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

How would I possibly go to boot camp at Parris Island?

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this question.
    For about ten years, since I was 6, I've wanted to be a Marine. I would be either 5th or 6th generation military in my family, but I would be a 1st generation Marine, which did not influence at all my wanting to join the Corps. Currently, I am a PFC in the MCJROTC Program in my school, which I joined to lose weight and gain discipline, but I'm realizing I've got about 2-3 years before the opportune moment for me to join comes along. I'm most likely going to go to college first, but when I do join, I've always dreamed of going to Parris Island. However, I live in Indiana.
    One of my friends from ROTC and I were discussing how we both dreamed of Parris, when he stated his excitement about being able to go after he moved, and he explained to me that only recruits east of the Mississipi get to go to Parris. So, I was wondering, is this true? And would there be a way for me to get my training at Parris Island anyways?
    I realize that training at any Recruit Depot would do, I am just curious as to if there is any way to go to get it at the Recruit Depot that I would prefer.
    Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Similar Threads:

The answer is that you go to MCRD, San Diego and if you can't handle that then you should join another branch of the military.
    Both Recruit Depots work under the same SOP and same Training Schedule.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Undestood, sir. I can handle it. I simply wanted to ask here instead of looking like an idiot in front of a recruiter a couple years from now. Thank you, sir.

talk to a recruiter about this, when I headed off to recruit training, there was another person that was leaving the same day as I was, and he was headed to PI even though almost everyone from my area always went to San Diego, he had requested to go to PI to follow in his fathers footsteps, and they made the request and it went through,, sometimes it does happen.

good luck,, keep us posted as to how it goes.

After spending 7 years on the Drill Field from 1966/1973 and training many recruits, I personally never saw it happen one time. Speaking from experience and not heresay.

not hear say OM i saw it happen, I was their, the day we shipped, he had to wait a while longer for the slot to open and he went later, I saw him again overseas and we talked for a while.. so just because you have never seen it happen, it doesn't mean it never does..

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    There was an retired female MSGT at CLNC approximately 7 years ago belonged to the DAV before I moved to FL. She just retired and stayed for a year or so and moved back home to Oregon. Her son joined the Marines and she got the recruiter to send him to PI instead of SD.

Kept in touch with her son with letters for motivation and her with emails and she said it changed if a recruit's parent or relative requested an there was an opening they would send them there to follow family tradition.

Don't know personally but that is what happened with this kid.

Does it really matter, both places make Marines, Semper Fidelis.

Thread Information