Is this urge to sign for an infantry job temporary?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Is this urge to sign for an infantry job temporary?

I'm 22 and finally taking the step to join the Marines. I have always wanted to but went straight to college after high school then started working. I got into some legal trouble and thought I couldn't join the military but when I talked to my recruiter he let me know that I could. I have gone to MEPS but I didn't sign. I'm waiting on psychological evaluation. So while I'm waiting I have done a lot of thinking about my MOS. I can learn anything quickly and want to make a career in the Marines. I scored a 93 on the ASVAB so my recruiter assumes I won't want an infantry job but I kind of want to. I really always have. So my questions are: Do any of you regret going infantry or not going infantry? Is infantry tough to make a career out of? And finally, are infantry marines still fighting in the middle east?

Similar Threads:

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    You'll get plenty of responses with this question. Good luck to you. Keep us updated, please.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks! I'm just worried that my young gung ho mind might be getting me into more than I expect.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I am not infantry but I will tell you from experience that I wish I had gone infantry, it's only 4 years.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you Sir. And on that note, is a lat move easy to come by upon reenlistment?

The only Marines participating in combat operations in the Middle East currently are pilots. Any infantry Marines there are in advisory/training roles. Unless there is a drastic change in the situation on the ground, that is not likely to change with the current administration - and may not change with the next one either.

I never served in the infantry. But, as a career Marine, know enough about it to safely say, it is a young man's game. The average combat load is around 60 lbs and goes up depending on your weapons system. Grunts are more susceptible to overuse injuries like back, knee, hip, shin, and ankle injuries (many times requiring surgery and sometimes resulting in medical discharges with disability ratings). Historically, promotions in the infantry field are slower than some others for myriad reasons. With all that being said, any grunt will tell you they never want to do anything else (their body may force them to however).

A career in any field today is difficult and will only get more so as a result of the force reduction. Currently, only 1 in 4 can expect to be able to reenlist. But, that is projected to change to only 1 in 5 (a 20% chance of staying in). Not good odds for anyone with career aspirations regardless of their MOS.

Lateral moves are a gamble and nobody should enlist with the expectation of getting into the MOS they really want via that route (regardless of what a recruiter claims). If a recruiter says otherwise, have them put it in writing.

When I first enlisted I wanted to be an infantryman but I was in a hurry to leave for boot camp so I went open contract and ended up getting Artillery. After working closely with infantry Marines, I'm glad I didn't choose that MOS. It wouldn't have been the right fit for me personally. It is definitely a young mans game as top said. If it's what you really want to do follow your dream. However, the likelihood of you making a career out of it is very slim. Forces are being reduced drastically and even if you make the cut you'll eventually have to leave to do a B billet by the time you finish that you'll be in your late twenties to early thirties and a lot of the recruiters here who came from infantry either stay on as 8412's or try and lat move out.

Credits
    Savings
    I understand that advice, it is well received. I have heard other marines saying that they didn't feel complete after not going infantry. I would hate to miss out on a fight, and I feel like I could really do some good in the field. I guess I was thinking I could contract as infantry and just switch after my first contract was up. I'm glad I came across this site.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Another thing to keep in mind is that just because you go infantry doesn't mean you will see any combat, even if we get into another ground conflict somewhere.

A few friends of mine from boot were infantry, other than a MEU(Marine Expeditionary Unit...on ship with the Navy) they never went on deployment to Iraq or Afghanistan. Then there was me, a bulk fuel reservist who got to do some time(8 months) on the ground.

Even if you get into that field, there is no guarantee you'll ever get into any fights (especially at the rate it's going now).

Regardless of never being a grunt, I can promise you I had a very complete career (look at my profile) and have never regretted being a POG.

After your first contract is up, you would be lucky to just get a second one. Switching MOS's would be even more unlikely. That's just how the numbers work out in today's professional all-volunteer force.

Credits
    Savings
    Very well put guys. I think I'm going to try to be a pilot. It has always been another dream to fly. When it comes time to pick my MOS all of this advice will surely help me. I know a lot of the recruits and poolees are in the same boat as I am (wanting to do infantry for the "experience"). I'll let them know about this information and I'll recommend this site. Thanks to everyone for your service to our country and taking your time to help guys like me. I'll be sure to pay it forward when I have some experience and knowledge to pass on.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nkabbaz View Post
    Very well put guys. I think I'm going to try to be a pilot. It has always been another dream to fly. When it comes time to pick my MOS all of this advice will surely help me. I know a lot of the recruits and poolees are in the same boat as I am (wanting to do infantry for the "experience"). I'll let them know about this information and I'll recommend this site. Thanks to everyone for your service to our country and taking your time to help guys like me. I'll be sure to pay it forward when I have some experience and knowledge to pass on.
    Did you graduate from college?....you have to be able to commission as an officer to fly in any/all of the branches of the military.

I think by the time you finish all the commissioning programs you'll be too old to apply to flight school (age limit is the first thing you need to find out). There is a USMC pilot here but he rarely has time to drop by. I'll see if I can find his screen name so you can PM him.

Credits
    Savings
    I did not graduate. I have two years under my belt. Would I be able to finish my degree while I'm working on being commissioned? My recruiter is trying to get me in to active duty ocs.

Thread Information