All poolees read!!!
Create Post

All poolees read!!!

If you're like me, you get on this site and when you see a thread that doesn't particularly look interesting, you skip it or skim through the posts and don't pay much attention... but if you're going to boot camp soon, please read this. It's a long read but I believe this is valuable information for future recruits.

I just got back from MCRD Parris Island. I am not a Marine. I just got back on 20150204. I worked for almost 2 years as a poolee to get to MCRD. My 1 1/2 mile started at 17 minutes, couldn't do one unassisted pullup, and barely made it to 45 crunches in two minutes.

When I got to Parris Island I did 17 Marine Corps pullups, 84 crunches, and ran the mile and a half in 12:10. Not spectacular numbers, but a huge improvement from where I started.

Let me say that I don't care where you're from or what kind of life you've lived. Marine Corps recruit training will absolutely be one of the most miserable experiences of your life to this point. You WILL want to quit, but whether you decide to stick it out or not is up to you! It is very possible you will face set-backs in training, such as illnesses or injuries, which can result in drops (getting put into a platoon behind you in training). At week 5 (swim week) I was diagnosed with pneumonia and was taken out of training for the whole week. Because swim week is a graduation requirement I was faced with dropping to the closest company behind us, which was 3 weeks behind.

I was already miserable, thought the Marine Corps wasn't for me, couldn't stand it anymore, and being told I had to be there 3 more weeks was too much for me to handle. I told them I would rather quit and go home. The first week home was great, and the other two weeks I've been home I've been miserable. I REGRET QUITTING EVERY DAY. I am keeping up with my platoon via a facebook family group, and seeing my platoon a week away from graduation is making me incredibly sick. I completely lost sight of my goal while I was at Parris Island.

When you get to MCRD and think your life couldn't be worse, remember how hard you've worked to get there, that being in the Marine Corps is a unique and gratifying experience that is worth the misery of training, and that quitting only lets your family, your recruiters, your brothers in your platoon, and ultimately yourself down.