03xx contract and career questions
Create Post

03xx contract and career questions

I am interested in a infantry contract and my recruiter is in the process of putting in the paperwork for it. My question is how could you make a career out of infantry? Most of the Marines I have talked to who have gone infantry only stay in for their 4 years. Why is that? I know it is a tough job but thats one of the reasons I enlisted. Also does being a 03xx make it harder to re-enlist?

Thank you

Similar Threads:

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    My question is how could you make a career out of infantry?
    Stay alive....and keep breathing...........

Because of the combat loads they carry (normally around 60 lbs but can be closer to 100 lbs at times depending on their weapon system), grunts tend to suffer from chronic overuse injuries with their backs, knees, ankles, hips, etc. Some grunts get out after their initial enlistment with disability ratings and never even saw combat. Who wants to have a bad back and be on pain meds at the age of 22?

Of course today, grunts are disappointed because they train their a$$ off just to float around on amphibious ships or be advisors. They want to kill terrorists but are not allowed to and that does not look to change for the next two years at least.

Historically, promotions in the infantry field are slow (compared to some others). There is nothing more frustrating than busting your butt all the time and seeing others being promoted ahead of you - when there is nothing you can do about it.

Like you say, a grunt's life is tough (obviously). And, with reduced training budgets and less money for new equipment, etc, it's just getting tougher. Reenlisting is getting more difficult for everybody as the military shrinks in size. Therefore, making a career in any MOS is not as easy as it used to be.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Career in the infantry?....that all depends on what you define as "career". There is no way you can or will do 20-25 years in the infantry straight through. At certain ranks you are required to leave your job to do other things(like B-billets as a drill instructor, recruiter, SOI instructor, etc). And then once you reach a certain rank after a certain amount of years you aren't gonna be out there with a line platoon/company being operational anyway. You will be in an officer writing orders, planning training, advising,etc

How about trying your first four? Now thats a novel idea maybe you wont want to re-enlist maybe you wont be able to or hell lets focus on actually being able to enlist, most poolees come on here asking about what happens if theyve recently smoked pot or they forgot about a felony they committed when they were 12. Baby steps

I'm not the kinda guy that has felonies or smokes pot thats just not who I am. But thank you for the advice and information Marines

Thread Information