Tattoo question !
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tattoo question !

Sorry for another thread once again about my issue, i wanted to clear it up for everyone and get some solid answers. So i have a pretty large tattoo (is nowhere close to a sleeve) but the banner comes down past the sleeve of a basic large white tshirt, pretty much the size of a basic pt shirt. Heres the pics, ive read the policy, it only says if the tattoo visible can be cover with a knife hand, which it can it should be fine? Im waiting to get news back from my recruiters and see if im ok to go to meps. And be cleared Im worried extremely because this is my life, this is all i want to be in life. Anyway im asking if anyone knows anything about the policy and can give me answers regarding if small portions of the tattoo is visible and can be covered is it with in standards? Im sorry this is my 2nd thread about this, its eating away at me and im stressed to the max, i should hopefully be hearing news first week of march to inform you guys.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tattoo is not finished btw, its a reaper with the qoute "lifes only gaurentee" (not gang related or anything stupid)

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    If the visible portion can be covered completely by your hand then technically it is within regs. Don't get too excited though if this is the case for you, any sort of tattoo still needs to be approved/waivered so if your recruiter and his command decide that they don't want to hassle with it that is their prerogative.

Here we go again. We have already been down this road with the OP.

We can give opinions about this tattoo all day long but none of us are making the final decision so what difference does it make? It is out of everybody's hands except the Operations Officer at district headquarters (and the OP has already been told that).

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    This could be a very "Illuminating" thread about tattoos...since none of us here really have the say so whether or not a waiver can or can not be approved...we offer only varying opinions and that and now three bucks may get you a coffee or latté at Starbucks to ask the same question that no one there would know the answer to either.....if your tat is approved.....be prepared for a whole lot of hurry up an waiting while in the Marine Corps.....

Stressing about a tattoo could in reality be the least of your worries........the recruiters I have spoke to lately would rather go with a potential Poolee without a waiver or laundry list to try to induct... and then you will be on the second list after ones that qualify will get to the pool before you........again this is not a valid answer because each situation is different....

I know its about opinion, ive been with my recruiters and they have said that if it can be covered by your hand then its ok, and i can do that therefore im good? And by approved do you mean documented and sent to meps etc, as far as i know you only need a waiver if its completely out of regs, im not asking if i need to get a waiver will it be approved etc? Im asking if it is in regs by being able to cover with my hand it will be documented and i'll go to meps like normal? I dont know the way it works and thats why im asking, so im not stressing over something that is ok and in regs.

for anyone who wants to know again only a half of the banner and a little line sticks out past the sleeve, but it can be covered.

Sorry again for the post

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Marine Corps Clears Up Tattoo Policy

The Marine Corps released additional rules to its tattoo policy last month, banning more places on the body where Marines cannot get them and setting tougher rules for officers.

In addition to the already prohibited head and neck, Marines cannot get tattoos or brands on their hands, fingers, wrists or inside their mouths, according to Marine Administrative Message 29/10 released Jan. 15, 2010.

Both commissioned and warrant officers are now limited to four tattoos or brands visible when wearing the standard physical training uniform, according to the new policy.

The policy's intent is "to ensure Marines can be assigned whenever and wherever they are needed," stated the message.

The recent change helped to clarify the March 2007 overhaul of the Corps' tattoo policy, which prohibited excessive tattoos covering arms and legs.

"I believe tattoos of an excessive nature do not represent our traditional values. Some have taken the liberty of tattooing themselves to a point that is contrary to our professional demeanor and the high standards America has come to expect from us," said Gen. James T. Conway, commandant of the Marine Corps, in a March 19, 2007, message.

The new policy also clarified the size of any tattoos visible in PT uniforms cannot be larger than the wearer's hand with fingers extended and joined and the thumb touching the base of the index finger. The 2007 policy was vague on the size, stating only that very large tattoos or collections of smaller tattoos covering all or most of a person's arms or legs - also called sleeve tattoos - were unauthorized.

For officers, band tattoos wider than 2 inches are now prohibited. Enlisted Marines are allowed bands only as wide as one quarter of the arm or leg where it is tattooed as seen in the PT uniform. Band tattoos can either partially or fully encircle the circumference of the arm or leg.

Additionally, any enlisted Marine who had grandfathered sleeve tattoos can no longer apply for any Marine Corps commissioning or warrant officer programs.

"A Marine with tattoos doesn't mean you're a bad Marine," said Sgt. Maj. William Wiseman, Headquarters and Headquarters Squadron sergeant major. "However, since tattoos are a visual reminder of your personal thoughts, feelings and ideas, a Marine with visible tattoos may not be the best candidate for a high-profile assignment. Since the Marine Corps has the most recognizable uniform in the world, this makes the Corps a high-profile assignment. ... You joined the Corps; the Corps didn't join you."

In September 2008, Marines with excessive tattoos were banned from holding the special-duty assignments of recruiter and Marine security guard at U.S. embassies. Marines in those jobs "have a significant impact on public perception," according to MarAdmin 494/08.

The recent message also reiterated that tattoos or brands continue to be subject to review in some cases pertaining to promotion, future assignments and training to determine if any might tarnish the Corps' reputation.

Any tattoos that are racist, sexist, drug-related, vulgar, anti-American or are associated with any extremist group or gang are already not permitted on Marines.

The new policy also banned apparently invisible tattoos that use ultraviolet ink only visible under a black light.

Marines who currently have any of the now-prohibited tattoos won't face any punishment, but they must document the tattoos with photos in their service record books no later than June 1, 2010.

Lance Cpl. Jakob Schulz contributed to this report.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yonk View Post
    I know its about opinion, ive been with my recruiters and they have said that if it can be covered by your hand then its ok, and i can do that therefore im good? And by approved do you mean documented and sent to meps etc, as far as i know you only need a waiver if its completely out of regs, im not asking if i need to get a waiver will it be approved etc? Im asking if it is in regs by being able to cover with my hand it will be documented and i'll go to meps like normal? I dont know the way it works and thats why im asking, so im not stressing over something that is ok and in regs.

for anyone who wants to know again only a half of the banner and a little line sticks out past the sleeve, but it can be covered.

Sorry again for the post
    YES TECHNICALLY IT IS IN WITHIN REGS!!......BUT AGAIN YOUR RECRUITER, HIS RS/COMMAND(OPS-O as was mentioned earlier) CAN DECIDE THAT THEY DON'T WANT TO DO THE DOCUMENTATION ON IT(WAIVER OR NOT) AND TELL YOU TO KICK ROCKS AND GO NEXT DOOR TO THE ARMY OFFICE

I don't know why I'm wasting my time but maybe you'll listen to me since I'm a Recruiting SNCOIC, no one on this forum can answer your question. It is up to the 1. Your recruiter, if he feels like you're a good fit for the Corps and worth the hassle he'll put in for a waiver. 2. Your RSS SNCOIC if he too feels like you're worth the time he will approve the waiver to go through to his CO. Then if the CO feels you're worth his time he'll approve it. I can almost guarantee you that he has a freaking stack of waivers just like yours waiting on him at his office as I type this message. On a separate note, my station isn't hurting to make mission at the moment so if a kid comes in that needs a waiver for anything we are putting him on the back burner, this could very well be your case.

The OP hasn't listened to any of us so far (we've been telling him the same thing from the jump). But, maybe hearing it from a recruiter will make a difference although I have my doubts. He is convinced, somehow, our opinion on his tattoo matters.

The millennials don't want to hear anything about the back burner. They're entitled to have their case heard today. Doesn't matter if their case is on the bottom of the stack - move that puppy right to the top because they're special that way. I don't know how you recruiters do it.

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    I think the Commandant should have a special phone number for this kind of thing. Maybe something like 1800ImSpecial. For automatic admission into the Corps, circumventing the annoying waiver policies, standards, downsizing of the Corps, this eliminates all the nonsense for today's young people who have BKS.(Burger King Syndrome)("Have It Your Way"). This ONE phone number would instantly drop our questions here to a trickle. LOL

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    God bless you Rivera. I don't know how you put up with these kids these days.

I definitely have to bite my tongue a lot during the day, Baker.

Quote Originally Posted by joseywales View Post
    I think the Commandant should have a special phone number for this kind of thing. Maybe something like 1800ImSpecial. For automatic admission into the Corps, circumventing the annoying waiver policies, standards, downsizing of the Corps, this eliminates all the nonsense for today's young people who have BKS.(Burger King Syndrome)("Have It Your Way"). This ONE phone number would instantly drop our questions here to a trickle. LOL
    Do the world a favor and get some better jokes, lol what the hell. I mean honestly google "better jokes to use" should help you out a bit.

Anyway I do apologize for annoying the **** out of yall. My last thread was worded wrong and i made a new one to clearify some answeres and get better information. I do appreciate everyone for replying, if not once again. For people who dont have tattoos its hard to understand or even care about it at all. I understand the tattoo policy and what it states in it. Im just in a confusing situation with my recruiter right now. Im worried and confused is all. My main concern was what happenes if the tattoo is ok and in regs, the tattoo gets documented and i get sent to meps to be cleared w/o a waiver? Thats all i was wondering because if all goes well i should not need a waiver. Everyone keeps talking about the waiver process which im aware of too, i know it can take months to get approved by upper command. Thanks again guys for taken the time to reply.

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Guys ? How about Marines !!!

Thread Information