How much of a chance do I have in becoming a USMC officer
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How much of a chance do I have in becoming a USMC officer

Basically I am a 24 years old that is a little tired of the daily grind of sitting at desk. I've got a college degree and passed ASVAB with flying colors in HS but never seriously considered military until now. I want to be on the front line and getting involved in the firefight and that seems like exactly what USMC would have you do.
    I am of average fit and I guess my age is on the high side. Mostly I have little experience in handling firearms. Do I have a chance at all in making it as an officer or is it too late for a career in the USMC.

Similar Threads:

Average fitness is nowhere close. What you describe about getting involved in the firefight sounds like an infantry officer. The fitness level at the Infantry Officers Course has been compared to that of an ironman's competition.

Being on the frontline and getting involved in the firefight was how we fought back-in-the-day. Today, if you want to be in the fight, you need to be a pilot. Everyone else is support or in an advisory role. We don't conduct ground combat operations against the enemy anymore.

You should visit the recruiter's office and get their advice. Good luck.

No one can answer this question for you; only you can decide if you're willing to putin the work to get selected for OCS, than actually make it through OCS ifyou're selected. That being said, you need to look good on paper for selectionthese days: At least a 3.4 or so GPA, history of volunteer work, PFT no lessthan a 285ish, no criminal records, trouble with the law, etc. withinheight/weight standards. Again these are just ballpark figures and generalqualifications nothing official. But I’ll go so far as to say that having allof the above will make you look highly favorable in front of a selection board.Basically, it’s all up to you whether you want to be one or not. That beingsaid, contact an OSO, only he/she can give you a good gauge of your competivenessfor an OCS slot. Good luck.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Good post. ONLY an OSO can tell you what the real story is.

I say about .350%. Good luck.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    I noticed where the decimal point is. LOL. Good post.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    That is what the Marine Corps would have you doing if that's what the Corps was doing still. There are no combat deployments going anywhere and I don't see any coming up in the near future.

Also you would need to be selected as an infantry officer; which is extremely difficult not only to get selected for but also to pass IOC(Infantry Officers Course).

Even if you were to pass IOC and become an 0302 (infantry officer) if you found yourself in a situation where you need to be a trigger puller, something went wrong. As an officer your weapon is your radio and your platoon, not your rifle.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by djj34 View Post
    As an officer your weapon is your radio and your platoon, not your rifle.
    Well said Sir

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    My information is dated....I was a summer instructor at OCS years ago...."Average" in physical fitness would get you counselled and if not improved...dismissed. Get rid of the average mindset. I also was an enlisted instructor on the "hill" at TBS and they did not except average for infantry officers.....

Additionally, trying to join up because your sick of your job isn't necessarily the best reason. There is more to being an officer then just passing the ASVAB with flying colors. Think seriously about it when you go talk to the OSO.

Your chances are what you make them. If you want it, do what it takes to get a slot. If you get through OCS and then decide you don't want it, don't accept the commission.

If your first inclination was to join a forum that primarily deals with enlisted entry, and post with questions regarding your probability of acceptance to OCS without listing any of the vital scores, you probably don't want it badly enough or you're not very good at research or both.

Still, if this is the path you want there are plenty of resources out there. The OSO is the first step. MarineOCS.com has some good gouge. There is some solid PT advice here and elsewhere. Google is your friend. Good luck.

Also, 24 is nowhere near too old to start. Age at commission is capped at 30, with some exception for prior service. Your age isn't a prohibitive factor.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UMDStudent24 View Post
    Also, 24 is nowhere near too old to start. Age at commission is capped at 30, with some exception for prior service. Your age isn't a prohibitive factor.
    ooh...Captain now, congrats Sir!

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    ooh...Captain now, congrats Sir!
    Thanks. It doesn't feel any different, except now people expect that I actually know the answer. They're genuinely frustrated/upset/confused when I have no idea what is going on, vice just amused when I was a Lt.

Thread Information