Meps question? / ( tattoo) Advice
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Meps question? / ( tattoo) Advice

This is my first ever post/question, pretty much ive been wanting to become a marine since i started highschool(graduating this june) and been visiting a recruiter since the beg of the school year. Only thing that has been holding me back from going to meps is the fact that when i wear the standard pt uniform a decient amount of my tattoo shows. (My right upper arm) Although its large i can still cover it with my hand. He tells me that if a tattoo is questionable if its going to need a waiver or not he sends it too a higher up to give an ok or not. Well ive been waiting close to 2months for an answer. Should i push my luck and go to meps anyway and possibly be ok, seems like im waiting for someone that forgot about me. Any advice? Only reason im in a somewhat rush is because i want to leave after graduation.

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    You are going to need a waiver no matter what anyway. What does it matter if you go to MEPS now or after?....I am confused though because you won't go to MEPS unless your recruiter is going to push the waiver for you. You don't just go on your own accord when you want to.

when im wearing the pt uniform a banner shows on the bottom of the tshirt. He said if i can cover that part with my hand then it should be good to go when i go up too meps. He told me instead of possibly needing a waiver he's sending it up to an upper command to give it an ok or say if i need a waiver or not. Im just as confused as yall are. I figure im better off getting a waiver then someone forgeting about me waiting for his "ok" question is: if i can cover it with my hand when i go to meps will they clear it or is the hand method not real?

Supposedly if the upper guy gives me an "ok" the tattoo will be documented and I'll go to meps etc,

It's the bureaucracy/system - meaning SLOW. Nothing in our Government (including the USMC) happens quickly and certainly not on your schedule. The commonly used term "hurry up and wait" is one you will be intimately acquainted with if you do ever get in. One does not simply show up at MEPS - your recruiter takes you with the appropriate documents. You have no options here. You will wait for an officer's opinion about your tattoo and then take it from there. You will also learn things happen on the Marine Corps' schedule and nothing you can do will speed it up. Patience is a virtue.

im aware i cant go to meps when i want, but i appreciate the advice tops, is the likely hood of a tattoo waiver being approved high if i need one, considering im in 100% in good shape and with rotc experience and all types of good things? I only have one tattoo that i seriously regret getting.

There is no way anyone here can put a percentage on the chances of your waiver being approved. The operations officer at your recruiting district has the final decision and their desk is piled high with tattoo waivers since almost all young people have them today. They will probably ask for your recruiter's recommendation before making their decision.

It isnt MEPS that is telling you, you cannot enlist with certain tattoos it is the Marine Corps that is telling you that you cannot enlist with certain tattoos. Hell go test your luck see what happens either you are good to go or not. If you are carry on with the plan of the day if not join the army theyll still probably take you.

No one cares how badly you want or wanted to be a Marine it isnt for everyone if it was it wouldnt be the few and the proud. Either you meet the standard or you dont.

The tattoo policy is retarded. Thats all I have to add. Good luck.

Alot of the replies are not really answering my main question. I want to be a marine plain and simple. The tattoo policy states that if the tattoo can be covered by the persons hand with fingers extanded etc, that its ok. As i said when i tryed on the pt uniform a rather small portion shows but that part can be covered up if i put my hand just right. My recruiter decided to be on the safe side after taking alot of pictures, to send it up to an upper command for a verfication. He was originally going to send me to meps to do a waiver because he thought i couldnt cover it fully. ( but i showed him i could days later from my last visit) so thats where im at now. My question is since i can cover it with my hand is it is regulations correct me if im wrong? And when i go to meps could i get by?

Our replies are not answering your main question because none of us know the answer. That's what we're trying to tell you.

We understand where you're at now. You're fate lies with someone else's decision - not ours. Does not matter how we interpret the tattoo policy.

Marines have many talents. But, telling the future is not one of them. Keep your fingers crossed it works out the way you want it to (sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't). Be sure to come back and let us know.

I will definitely be sure to tell you how it goes, I appreciate everyone taking their time to respond, its hard to exactly explain the situation cause like you said it can go either good or bad. I shoupd hopefully find out what this guy said by the end of the month, ive been sitting on his decision for almost 2 months. Getting anxious!

Quote Originally Posted by LCPL1341 View Post
    The tattoo policy is retarded. Thats all I have to add. Good luck.
    How you feel is of no consequence the rules are still the rules you and everyone else agreed to these rules and any new rules once you raised your hand and said i do solemnly swear to support and defend the constitution against all enemies both foreign and domestic.

as it pertains to the OP your question had been answered go to meps and they will either pass you or fail you it isnt MEPS that is denying you entry it is the Marine Corps who is. if you get to meps and they say you are good to go then they will allow you your shot barring any other issues you may be omitting. If they wont accept it then the Army recruiting office is usually right next door to the Marine Corps one.

Just get it removed. Then you can be 100% that the tattoo wont be an issue.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by devilbones2 View Post
    Just get it removed. Then you can be 100% that the tattoo wont be an issue.
    actually not.....it still has to be documented as if it were there, it's just not "visible" any longer really

Thread Information