Becoming a Recon Marine?
Create Post

Becoming a Recon Marine?

Whoever may be able to help,
    My name is Brendan and I am shipping out June 1st to Parris Island for Recruit Training. I've been in the DEP for a few months now and am in very good shape and will be in better shape by the time it comes for basic. I can already run close to a 300 pft and I'd like to think I'm a very determined individual so I think I may do well. My question comes about my MOS. I'm currently enlisted in the reserves as an infantry marine (0311) so I can finish college and hopefully go active after that. Here's the catch...
    I've always wanted to be recon. I know everyone may say that but it's something I've been serious about for a long time. I just don't think I can do that in the reserves (recon reservist doesn't make much sense to me). Please if I am wrong someone let me know and if anybody could fill me in on what it takes and what the process is like that would be great too. Thank you.

Similar Threads:

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    josephd and munkyvsrobot will probably be along to address this. But why does everyone want to be recon? Glamour, glory, movies etc. No one ever comes on and says he or she wants to cook in the Corps. LOL....plenty of other jobs out there. Stuff you never thought about.

Thanks for the response. I can't speak for everyone else, but my reason that my grandfather was special forces in Vietnam and has some pretty impressive decorations from what he did over there. I've always wanted to be like him. It's not about the glory or stuff like that, I know the life isn't as easy as it looks from what he's told me. He's just someone I've always admired.
    I also am somewhat thrilled by what they do. The toughest missions are assigned to them and not many people have what it takes to do what they do. I'd like to become one of them. Granted, I still have to go through Basic first lol.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    I was just kidding about the cook thing....and people will jump all over you about "basic", which is Army and Air Force, rather than "boot camp", which is Marine Corps, so I'll mention that and hopefully save you some aggravation from folks who see that word "basic"----good luck to you...as I mentioned in a PM to you, those two extremely helpful and knowledgeable individuals may wander in here, but if they don't, send each a PM asking them to take a look at your thread. I know for sure they'll have info, and good info, for you. Good luck!

As a reservist, you're limited to the MOS's available at your local reserve unit. It's possible to get a reserve billet at another reserve unit within driving distance if you don't mind the commute. The reserve unit here in Knoxville is a Combat Engineer Company. However, there are reserve Marines who live here, but actually belong to an infantry company in Johnson City, TN because they wanted to be a grunt instead of an engineer (about a two hour commute one way). Not 100% sure but I do believe there are reserve RECON rangers. Good luck.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    As a reservist, you're limited to the MOS's available at your local reserve unit. It's possible to get a reserve billet at another reserve unit within driving distance if you don't mind the commute. The reserve unit here in Knoxville is a Combat Engineer Company. However, there are reserve Marines who live here, but actually belong to an infantry company in Johnson City, TN because they wanted to be a grunt instead of an engineer (about a two hour commute one way). Not 100% sure but I do believe there are reserve RECON rangers. Good luck.
    yes, there is a few reserve recon units out there. One being in New Mexico.

Becoming a recon Marine would mean exactly as Top put it, you'd have to have a reserve recon unit local to you that you can get contracted to.

Im starting to feel as if the same 4 questions are asked daily. How do I become this (Recon,MARSOC,Scout Sniper, Chuck Norris,ETC.), should i go officer or enlisted, suggest an mos, Can i join with this thing that I know i cannot join with, Active duty or enlisted.

Why no one even looks to see whats already up here or even as a base starts even the smallest bit of research before they hit the new topic button.

That would take a certain amount of initiative.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    That would take a certain amount of initiative.
    Which is a scary thought I cant imagine with how lazy some people are what they are going to be like when they hit the FMF. Especially if they want to be something of a Scout Sniper or the other litany of other upper echelon jobs people on here start asking about.

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    There are only two thousand or so threads about these very same topics on and on and on and on and on. Munky, your enlistment will be up by the time you answer these same questions every day

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    What you are saying is correct.......and I will also say that is the reason Marines are no longer able to post in the Poolee Forum....when they are giving each other bum scoop or wanting to be secretsquirrellreconrangerscoutsniperwithjumpwingh eroe

Thread Information