Questions about body size and becoming a Scout Sniper?
Create Post

Questions about body size and becoming a Scout Sniper?

Hey, Marines. First of all, I just want to make it clear that I, in no way, think being a Marine Scout Sniper in real life is anything like it is in the movies. I do not expect unrealistic dramatized 2000m kill shots, explosions etc.

Now that that is out of the way, I have a question about my body weight. I am 16, 5'10, and 160lbs. I don't have much body fat since I work out a lot (football, weight training, etc) but I probably could go down to 150 or so. Should I try losing or gaining weight? I am fine with pushups, pullups, etc. I can run one mile in about 7 minutes but I havent tried a 3 mile yet. Any advice in the fitness field?

Secondly, I am absolutely hell bent on becoming a Scout Sniper. I've always had a fascination with snipers and the stealth/recon side of sniping. I am extremely determined to become one of the best of the best. Does anyone have tips on becoming a sniper besides scoring expert on rifle qual?

Thank you

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikedivito View Post
    sniping
    The use of this word alone tells me you know nothing about being a scout sniper and what they do....I'll give you a little slack as you are only 16. Do some more research!

Being a scout sniper is all about stress management, mental endurance, and controlling your emotions. The physical side of it is the easy part.

Why don't you worry about becoming an infantry Marine first and then once you're in you can concern yourself with shooting well and getting a SS school seat.

The shooting part of being a scout sniper is only one component of their mission as josephd said. You will never make it to scout sniper school without graduating bootcamp first and then Infantry Training Battalion. You need to establish your short term and long term goals. Your short term goals should be, enjoy your teen years (you'll grow up soon enough), stay away from drugs/tattoos, don't get your girlfriend pregnant, stay active, and get your high school diploma. If you attain these first, then you may have a shot at your longterm goals.

Also, like josephd mentioned, qualifying expert on the range and being a PT stud does not guarantee anyone a seat at scout sniper school. Each infantry battalion has a quota of how many they can nominate for a seat each year. So, it is a numbers thing just as much as it's a competency thing. Qualified infantry Marines volunteer and then someone in the chain of command decides who will go. Luck is involved too. There are always more volunteers than there are slots to be filled.

For now. Just be a 16 year-old.

Bad word choice, sorry. I meant "being a sniper".

Tennessee Top, thank you for the advice. I stay out of trouble and my main goal right now is to actually get into the DEP and become a Marine. I'm just very interested in 0317 and this is my, as you said, long term goal.

Brooo. When I was 16, I cared about basketball, girls, and basketball. Enjoy high school to the fullest, the Corps aint going anywhere. Everyone comes on here with these high aspirations to be Mr. Ricky Recon Operator. You're 16; go on a date or something.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by LCPL1341 View Post
    Brooo. When I was 16, I cared about basketball, girls, and basketball. Enjoy high school to the fullest, the Corps aint going anywhere. Everyone comes on here with these high aspirations to be Mr. Ricky Recon Operator. You're 16; go on a date or something.
    Lol don't worry. I have a girlfriend and I care about football and working out. I just want to do whatever I can now to prepare for my future. People my age are taking SATs for college, why can't I get ready for the Marine Corps, you know?

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    Good point, mikedivito LOL

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikedivito View Post
    Lol don't worry. I have a girlfriend and I care about football and working out. I just want to do whatever I can now to prepare for my future. People my age are taking SATs for college, why can't I get ready for the Marine Corps, you know?
    you make a good argument with the SAT reference....my rebuttal to that is those people are trying to get into college to go party and enjoy themselves even more. You are looking to serve your country, which is admirable...but go be a 16 year old and enjoy yourself before the Corps rips all your freedoms away for about a year.

heres some great advice to work on for the next at least 2 years. Focus on not being a complete idiot by drinking and doing drugs and driving over people and all that stupid crap. Cause in all reality chances are if you dont focus on that you are going to do those stupid things then you will be here asking if you can enlist with a DUI or with just a GED and no college credits, or some other problem that could have been avoided.

$#itty individuals make $#itty Marines

Thread Information