Prior Service To USMC
Create Post

Prior Service To USMC

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Some background to give some insight into my situation: I am prior service US Army Reserves with 6 years in and with a Honorable Discharge with RE Code 1. I was Infantry and an MP. Regrettably, I have no deployments. I am in the process of getting divorced. As of this moment, I have a total of 4 dependents. With the ongoing draw down, the Army and other branches have very few options available for prior service.

Currently, I work as a wrangler / ranch hand at a local ranch. My job prospects are dismal and the oil / gas industry is laying off. With my pending divorce and my need to reestablish some stability in my life, I have chosen to start from scratch with the Marines. My father is a former Marine and my younger brother is currently in DEP for the USMC. So of course, with all of this going on, I will follow suit. After all, it was my original choice, as I wanted to follow in the old man's footsteps.

I am aware that, as it stands, I cannot enlist. Additionally, I will come in as an E-2 and my time in service will be deducted from my overall age.

My question is this: Will I need to relinquish full custody or parental rights of my children to their mother? And in the event that at some point we reconcile (very unlikely) and decide to remarry, will the Corps look at this unfavorably? Most importantly, will my children still receive benefits?

Once again, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I look forward to earning the title and my place with my brothers and sisters in arms.