Scout sniper
Create Post

Thread: Scout sniper

Scout sniper

Hi I always wanted to become a marine since I could Remember. I'm a sophomore in high school I'm signing up when I have one year left to talk to the recruiter get more information and start getting physically fit. I enlisting to become a 0311 Rifleman and give it my all to get selected for 0317 Scout Sniper. I was just wondering can you take college courses while being a infantry troop. I look it up all the time but I always get misinformation. I thought i can get help by actual marines.

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    You are not enlisting to become an 0311 because that isn't possible unless you are joining the reserves. You will get an infantry "03xx" contract and hope you get selected to be a rifleman.

Yes, technically, you can take college courses but realistically it's not going to happen. You really won't have the time to do the classes, as an infantryman you will spend alot of time in the field training.

What a being in a military police unit

It's it at least possible to do while enlisted.

Yes it is.

Good luck getting that. How many scout snipers do you think they are going to need in a "peace time" Marine Corps?

Off duty education is possible but like josephd said extremely difficult for a grunt or scout sniper. Besides being out in the field most of the time learning your craft, there is always the possibility you'll be halfway through a semester when your unit deploys (and you'll have to drop out of class). On-line courses are available but again, you won't have access to a computer out in the field, nor the time to use it. Scout snipers spend very little time in a classroom setting - majority of their time is spent on the range with their sniper rifle/spotter, practicing land navigation skills, evasion techniques, etc.

If college credits are your priority, talk to the recruiter about MOS's that deploy less often (not infantry) and have a typical 8-5 Mon-Fri work schedule like personnel administration, legal services, supply administration, etc. Stay away from MOS's that typically do shift work like MP, cook, aviation support, etc. because your work schedule will interfere with your class schedule (always).

Thread Information