Officer Candidate School??
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Officer Candidate School??

Hello everyone,

I'm a 23 year old female college graduate who has decided to go to grad school first and then join the Marines afterwards. I've gotten mixed opinions on this from friends and family so, I thought to come on here and see what you all thought?

I have already spoken to an OSO in my area about it and he offered me a lot of information to think over. I still haven't called him yet to inform him that I am going to wait. Does anyone think it is possible for me to work with him even if I'm abroad completing my masters? (I will be in Glasgow Scotland)

Also, if I decide that the officer route isn't for me, could I just enlist? Would it seem silly to enlist with a masters degree?

I hope all of this made sense!

Similar Threads:

Hello Laura...

When do you finish up your Masters' Degree?
    What is your Master's Degree and does it equate to any USMC MOS slot?
    Maybe that is the operative question to ask yourself to help you decide which choice is best.

Seems to me whether making a decision on the officer's or enlisted route the communicative logistics with your recruiter would be pretty cumbersome if you're doing it from Glasgow.

I also think that being 23 you would have to seriously want to be a Marine rather than going into the work force right away based on your college major skills.
    Although I was just an Paleozoic enlisted Marine I'll guess going into the Officer program will require some real dedication, commitment and perseverance over a long period of time.

The 3rd paragraph I wouldn't have a clue but there are others here who may provide guidance.

Good luck....carry on.

Yes, IMHO you'll be wasting your masters. I don't think you should spin-the-bottle making this kind of career decision. The basic question -- which fellow posters would probably like to know: why do you want to join the Marine Corps? It's not laughs and giggles. And do yourself and OSO recruiter a favor. Be honest and forthright with your decision -- even if to decline OCS. A thank you for helping works wonders building relationship downstream if any.

Quote Originally Posted by lmiranda14 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I'm a 23 year old female college graduate who has decided to go to grad school first and then join the Marines afterwards. I've gotten mixed opinions on this from friends and family so, I thought to come on here and see what you all thought?
    I think going to grad school is a good idea, get your degree and see where it fits in the Corps.

I have already spoken to an OSO in my area about it and he offered me a lot of information to think over. I still haven't called him yet to inform him that I am going to wait. Does anyone think it is possible for me to work with him even if I'm abroad completing my masters? (I will be in Glasgow Scotland)
    you can keep in touch it should not be a problem just with the time difference, but if he is high on you joining then He should not mind keeping in touch and you can keep him up to date..

Also, if I decide that the officer route isn't for me, could I just enlist? Would it seem silly to enlist with a masters degree?

I hope all of this made sense!
    If you decide that Officer is not the way you want to go, there is nothing silly about being enlisted, when I was in, my Platoon Leader had a Masters in physics, (I think it was that), you should be able to work your way up in rank with out to much problems, as long as you are open to different Ideas and are willing to learn and not feel you're above those who have been their and done it,, live.. if you know what I mean,

I have heard the phrase "you are overqualified" often with executive level job seekers holding masters degrees. Certainly, that would apply to an enlisted Marine's position making minimum wage (and that is subject to change based on the cuts Congress wants to do with the defense budget). Seems to me you would be sacrificing too much earning potential and throwing away all that hard work for a job only requiring a highschool diploma.

If you decide you want to be a Marine, at least do it as an officer. IMO.

Good luck to you with your decisions.

chulaivet1966 - I got my BA in International and Cultural Studies and I would be in a 12 month program in International Relations.
    I was given a pamphlet with a list of Marine Corps officer MOSs that are available. I really want to be an Intelligence officer, if possible.
    I do believe that being so far away could present a problem. I wouldn't want my OSO to kind of put me in the back burner or anything. I would love to keep
    my file open and work with him as I go through my program so that when I do return, I can officially begin the process. I would obviously have to
    coordinate that with him and see if that would even be possible. (He seemed pretty impressed by my academics, so I'm hoping that's a good thing!)

fl1946 - Thank you for being so honest! I have always wanted to be a Marine, but I wanted to get my education out of the way first. It wasn't until my
    Junior year of college that I thought seriously of applying to graduate school. So, I began to weight my options: Grad school first? or Marines first, then grad school?
    My ultimate goal has always been to be in the Marines. I wouldn't be content with just a regular desk job. I want to be challenged and to do something that will
    give meaning to my life. I want to be 80 years old and say "wow, what a life I have lived." I have always believed that the Marine Corps can provide
    that for me. Plus, I think the Marines are the best ;)

irpat54 - The reason I ask about enlisted it because, even though I have myself set on becoming an officer, things could possibly change. I may have a change of heart and
    decide that I am more suited to go enlisted. I would definitely be open to learn. I would never consider myself better than anyone else, that's for sure.

Tennessee Top - You do have a valid point. That's definitely something I would have to keep in mind.

Thank you all so much for the help!!

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Your OSO WILL put you on the back burner, just like a regular recruiter would if you were a wannabe/poolee that can't show up to pool functions and be in touch.

Has your OSO mentioned anything to you about OCC(officers candidate course)?...being that you already graduated you would not be eligible for PLC(platoon leaders course), which is the typical route for an college student to commission into active duty. You would have to commission through OCC, and unless things have changed in the last year OCC candidates were only eligible for reserve officer slots...not able to go active duty.

And my personal $0.02.....I commend you for wanting to serve and be a Marine Officer but you are overqualified.....ESPECIALLY for enlisted, you will not want to be enlisted with your background. Trust Me!

Have you considered getting a civilian job with the DoD?...State Department?....any of the 3-lettter agencies?....you would be much better suited for that especially considering your education and wanting to "serve our country".

Josephd,

I figured as much. I already live far away from his office. He is almost three hours away from me and we were able to meet because he came near my area for 3 days. I was hoping that by showing my interest and dedication to becoming a Marine would maybe help keep my file open. He also seemed impressed with me when we first spoke so that gave me a little hope.

My OSO and I talked about OCC. I don't recall him saying that there were no active duty slots. In fact, he thought I would be better suited for active duty instead of reserves. I can always check in with him about that.

I have thought about work in the State Department. For now, I'm trying to keep myself centered on my goal. If it, unfortunately, does not go the way I would like to, then I suppose that would be an option for me.

Thank you for the advice.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Josephd,

I figured as much. I already live far away from his office. He is almost three hours away from me and we were able to meet because he came near my area for 3 days. I was hoping that by showing my interest and dedication to becoming a Marine would maybe help keep my file open. He also seemed impressed with me when we first spoke so that gave me a little hope.

My OSO and I talked about OCC. I don't recall him saying that there were no active duty slots. In fact, he thought I would be better suited for active duty instead of reserves. I can always check in with him about that.

I have thought about work in the State Department. For now, I'm trying to keep myself centered on my goal. If it, unfortunately, does not go the way I would like to, then I suppose that would be an option for me.

Thank you for the advice.
    No worries, things may have changed with OCC now. I just know as of FY2013 and 2014 OCC candidates were only offered reserve seats.

I have been through the PLC/commissioning process a few times now, it can be very long and stressful.

I'm sure it is! For OCC, I was told that (for females) a platoon of 62 ended up with less than 35 upon completion.
    I'm fully prepared for a long, stressful, and tedious process. It's just part of what I'm willing to do to be a Marine I guess. Haha.

I have a Masters; I enlisted. I actually left for Parris Island a couple weeks after mycollege graduation (MPA degree). It’s all a matter of what you feel suits you best; just understand, as an enlisted Marine with a Master’s degree, you WILL be humbled rather quickly. As far as the OSO goes; if you leave for Scotland, he WILL most likely put you on the backburner regardless in order to give moretime to the applicants which are physically seeing him regularly. You just have to maintain a professional working relationship with him from afar. Shoot him a message or quick phone call once every couple weeks updating him on your situation just to stay in the loop. If you do this, he’ll work with you when you get back. That being said, TELL HIM IMMEDIATELY that you plan to study abroad; this way, there is no confusion and he understands the situation. Last thing you wanna do is potentially **** him off or have him start paperwork on you only to have you leave the country.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    It is all well and good to keep in touch with an OSO.....but during your time abroad...remember an OSO is just like an enlisted recruiter....they only do that duty for so long before going back to the fleet or wing.....in my opine you may want to consider closer to leaving Scotland so you may have an OSO that will be there. However prepare for everything...so you have you paperwork ready when you get back.........

speaking about College Degrees y XO had a MAasters degree in physical Education and boy-o- boy did he enjoyed it. Kept us in shapeyou know about 8count body builders well he would have us do 100 50 count body builders.
    So needless to say I was in the best shape during those 21/2 years I was with him.

Stephen Doc Hansen HM3 FMF

I was told that (for females) a platoon of 62 ended up with less than 35 upon completion.

When I went to OCS, the female platoon on deck started with 61 (iirc) and finished with 14. They were jokingly referred to as 1st Squad, as opposed to 1st Platoon.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by djj34 View Post
    When I went to OCS, the female platoon on deck started with 61 (iirc) and finished with 14. They were jokingly referred to as 1st Squad, as opposed to 1st Platoon.
    wow, that's sad....and they want to make females infantry officers still....

no disrespect intended to you OP

Thread Information