No more sea duty?!?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

No more sea duty?!?

Wow, I really missed the news on this one - just saw today in a newsletter from MCA that the Navy will no longer have Marine detachments on any ships, after (I think) the current floats end.

I was shocked. I always learned that providing details for shipboard duties was one of the core mandated jobs of the Corps (no pun intended). I knew they'd been cutting back on the number/type of ships that had Marine detachments, but now they're *all* going away?

I gather there will still be units tasked with some of the duties a ship's detachment did (boarding, security, fast raiding jobs, etc.) but they'll be temporary. How did that happen?

Sheesh. Yeah, I was a landlocked weekend warrior, but nobody will get a sea duty assignment any more, from what I read? I have to be wrong, or just missing part of the picture here.

Wow. Changes, they're a-comin' - hell, they're here.

Similar Threads:

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Well, Andy, just more examples of "change for the sake of change"....something ain't broke, don't fix it...but we fix things anyway, even when they're working just fine....good post, though, very interesting....

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    "A Ship without Marines is like a coat without buttons."
    Admiral Farragut

Quote Originally Posted by madsox View Post
    Wow, I really missed the news on this one - just saw today in a newsletter from MCA that the Navy will no longer have Marine detachments on any ships, after (I think) the current floats end.
    I was shocked.
    Ho-ly shvt....I'm 'shocked' too.

From my late 1960's perspective some sort of sea duty/go afloat activity would be something I would have looked forward too just for the experience and to break the monotonous routine of training on terra firma forever.

Like all here, I've watched the Corps change over the decades (women in direct combat, the DADT B.S., draw downs, PC crap...I'm sure there's more) and I wouldn't like being in the Corps these days.

Accepting that change is inevitable I guess I'm still mentally stuck in the VN era way how things were and how it all worked.

Again, that's coming from an old bird but I have the highest respect for our Brothers that given the feds a sacrificial blank check.

Carry on...

Quote Originally Posted by chulaivet1966 View Post
    Ho-ly shvt....I'm 'shocked' too.

From my late 1960's perspective some sort of sea duty/go afloat activity would be something I would have looked forward too just for the experience and to break the monotonous routine of training on terra firma forever.

Like all here, I've watched the Corps change over the decades (women in direct combat, the DADT B.S., draw downs, PC crap...I'm sure there's more) and I wouldn't like being in the Corps these days.

Accepting that change is inevitable I guess I'm still mentally stuck in the VN era way how things were and how it all worked.

Again, that's coming from an old bird but I have the highest respect for our Brothers that given the feds a sacrificial blank check.

Carry on...
    Agree 100%. Mainly with 3d paragraph.

I rest my case.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    Agree 100%. Mainly with 3d paragraph.
    I rest my case.
    Brother Guns....
    Thanks for not taking issue with said '3rd paragraph'.

It really grates on me too and ups my blood pressure if I think on it too long.
    I could more easily take my DI (Sgt. Faircloth) screaming at me to do a thousand squat thrusts every day in the sand pit than have to put up with current Military protocols.
    If you're ever get out of Nevada into the bay area........I'm buyin'!

Stay tough all you Green Mo'fers.

FoxtrotOscar
    Guest Free Member
    I thought "Sea Duty" or MarDets officially ended in 1998....

We can simply change our slogan to "By land or by air."

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Another good one, Russ---that's THREE in a row in two days.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    That long article complicates things, maybe the initial post was about a particular KIND of detachment aboard ships that is now different, I don't know....but it appears to be the case that sea duty goes on but in a different way than when we were in (?)

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Marines and sailors are at the center of a test that could change naval warfare.
    Officials from the Corps and Navy are considering a new way of deploying Marines on a wide spectrum of vessels well beyond the standard pumps aboard amphibious assault ships. If the test runs are a success, aircraft carriers, destroyers, and even military cargo ships could become home to Marines headed to the world's next crisis.

Putting Marines on new ships could help military leaders and planners struggling with the shortage of amphibious assault ships. With fewer amphibs at sea, the Corps has stood up two land-based crisis response forces so Marines can be forward deployed to regions where contingencies could erupt. But being at sea is still ideal, according to service leaders, and putting Marines on new vessels could help meet growing mission requirements around the world.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Yes, Jimmy----it's just that we still don't know if sea duty is sea duty anymore, at all, or as we once knew of it----I remember when we first heard about sea duty, everyone naively supposed he would be the one in a hundred thousand to stand aboard in dress blues. LOL.....my chances would have been better of making Commandant meritoriously out of boot camp.

FoxtrotOscar
    Guest Free Member
    Sea Duty I was referring to was the Detachments aboard Command Ships or those that carried Nuclear abilities, not Floats that worked the Pacific and Med...

Sea Duty = Sea School... (Seagoing Bellhops)...

Not transports for 6+ month deployments...

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Everything else has changed since I got out in 1967, why not sea duty

Thread Information