prior service to usmcr advice
Create Post

prior service to usmcr advice

Hey marines I need some help/ advice.
    I have been speaking to a PSR but he has been busy so I'm looking to get some insight.

I was a 6114(huey and cobra helicopter mechanic) and do not have much interest in going back into it. I am currently in the IRR and in the running for the state police academy. If all goes well I wil go into the academy in Aug. Also currently going to school and get my associates this may.

I miss the devil dog life and want to get into the reserves in a different mos, but do not have alot of time to retain in mos school. The time gap is from may-aug so it would have to be a short school. I just found out about the alternate training instruction program affiliated with MP and combat engineer. If I could avoid an mos school that would be wonderful. Does anyone have any sort of experience with this? any help is appreciated

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    You won't be able to keep your MOS anyway if you contract to a reserve unit, you will have to retrain based on what kind unit you go to....So, there is no way of avoiding MOS school. If you don't reclass/retrain you would be considered an MOS mismatch at the reserve unit, you won't be able to re-enlist to stay there long term, and at any time the unit could kick you out because you are a MOS mismatch and don't fit in their T/O.

how much time do you have in the IRR still??.....if enough, you could wait until you finish the academy to check in to the unit local to you so when/if they send you to MOS school it won't interfere with the academy

Thanks for your help. I am in the IRR until this Dec. I know I can extend but I think I need a certain amount of points inorder to do so, which I don't have. That means I would have to have it done before I would leave to the academy.

Would the mismatch apply to Arty 0811. About.com states "(2) Complete the USMC Cannon Crewman Course and demonstrate qualification through performance for MOS 0811; or completion of the appropriate MCI courses and demonstrate qualification through MOJT." Does this mean I all I need to do is some MCI's and I'm good? I find that hard to believe. (But hey Gen. Amos did do OCS through a correspondence course.)

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyg View Post
    Thanks for your help. I am in the IRR until this Dec. I know I can extend but I think I need a certain amount of points inorder to do so, which I don't have. That means I would have to have it done before I would leave to the academy.

Would the mismatch apply to Arty 0811. About.com states "(2) Complete the USMC Cannon Crewman Course and demonstrate qualification through performance for MOS 0811; or completion of the appropriate MCI courses and demonstrate qualification through MOJT." Does this mean I all I need to do is some MCI's and I'm good? I find that hard to believe. (But hey Gen. Amos did do OCS through a correspondence course.)
    hahaha....I am not sure about that exactly. that is something that you would need to discuss with the PSR, the I&I 1st Sgt and CO at the unit, and the career planner there.

You should be able to check in and then when you go to the academy you can RIDT(make up at a later date) all the drills you'll miss. Upon completion of the academy then they can set you up with going to the MOS school. We have alot of prior service guys coming to my unit and in a similar position as you. Just gotta make it happen for yourself.

Ah wonderful, this whole time I thought I would drill while atending the academy, that is a huge relief. Thanks for the help brother, I will mention this to my psr.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    another option is to re-enlist in the IRR so you don't fall off contract(which you don't wanna do!). and then upon completion of the academy you can kinda do what you want.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyg View Post
    Ah wonderful, this whole time I thought I would drill while atending the academy, that is a huge relief. Thanks for the help brother, I will mention this to my psr.
    no worries, you can drill if you're able to but no you don't have to if it gets in the way(which I'm sure it does). I have one of my Marines who just filled out all his RIDT paperwork for the next like 4 months while he is the police academy.

Awesome I just learned so much. Thanks again. I just looked into the most recent mos manual mco 1200.17E, along with the fy-15 update for it and it states that MOS' 0121, 0151, 0811, 3381 and 4341 are the only ones that can be fully completed through OJT as a PMOS. Looks like I will more than likely be a canoneer. Also many openings in my area.

Thread Information