Advice about joining
Create Post

Advice about joining

Hey guys,

A little about me: I'm 22 and currently in college. I've got an Associates from a CC and currently have 3 semesters left before I get an Engineering degree.

I've always wanted to join the military. Planned on joining the Marines right out of high school but GF/parents talked me into going to college for a semester. A semester turned into four years. The GF is no longer in the picture, broke up about a year ago.

I have no intentions of making the Marines a career, just to get my four years in and get out. Just have a strong feeling that I should do my part, not sure exactly why I don't come from a military family.

Anyway, my question is: is it dumb/stupid for me join up without finishing degree. Anyone here been in a similar situation.

Edit: the planned MOS is infantry. I'm sure there's other MOS that would use my skill set with Engineering better, but going infantry is what I want to do.

Thank you for whoever has read this far.

Similar Threads:

You can always finish your degree. It seems like there is a small window of opportunity for joining the Marines. Life events just happen and before you know it, that opportunity is gone.

I knew a guy once who just wanted to do 4 and get out. He retired last year after serving for 23 years.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    If you're only 3 semesters away from graduating I would suggest finishing college first. You're only 22, probably be 23 when you join(??). As long as you don't require any waivers(medical, legal, tattoos, etc.) you won't have any issues enlisting.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Boz View Post
    It seems like there is a small window of opportunity for joining the Marines. Life events just happen and before you know it, that opportunity is gone.
    Thats how I'm feeling. If I'm ever going to join, right now would be the time.

I would just be turning 24 when I graduate. I have already talked with the Dean, I won't have to retake any courses I've already completed, assuming I get out in four years.

Finish college first - not even close. An engineering degree is not something you should screw around with. You have too much invested at this point. Get that diploma in your pocket first - it's like putting money (and an insurance policy) in the bank.

I agree with Top T ,finish college first, You would still be young enough to join ...

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    Sure, quit school, listen to Big Boz, the Corps will not be around when you graduate, throw everything away, put it on the back burner and get your priorities straight and join up today!!!!

For Godsakes finish your degree. Its an ENGINEERING degree. 3 semesters is NOTHING. The Marine Corps isnt going anywhere. Also, prepare to be humbled especially in the infantry. No one will care that you have a degree.

AFTER you graduate and enlist. Be advised you WILL be called "professor" in bootcamp and most likely be the platoon scribe. Good chance there will be others there older than you - they will be called "grandpa".

Quote Originally Posted by joseywales View Post
    Sure, quit school, listen to Big Boz, the Corps will not be around when you graduate, throw everything away, put it on the back burner and get your priorities straight and join up today!!!!
    It doesn't sound like he wanted to go in the first place and is now looking at other options. College isn't for everybody.

Educated does not always equal smart.

Educated does not equal smart; but a bachelors degree, especially in something like engineering, gives you a huge advantage over your peers who dont have one. These are the things employers like seeing on a resume.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LCPL1341 View Post
    Educated does not equal smart; but a bachelors degree, especially in something like engineering, gives you a huge advantage over your peers who dont have one. These are the things employers like seeing on a resume.
    this!

and while I agree that a college does not equal smart, an engineering degree does. that $hit is not easy to attain.

An old Mark Twain saying" I never let schooling interfer with my learning".

Semper Fi and godbless you all

Stephen Doc Hansen HM3 FMF

hell if you wait and finish your degree and then join the Marine Corps may already figure out what it is doing and youd probably stand a better chance of doing whatever it is you were thinking of doing. It has been around for 239 years my guess is the Marine Corps is still going to be around when you get out of college.

Thread Information