Getting in shape, any advice?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Getting in shape, any advice?

I've been wanting to enlist for a while, I graduate from college in May. I'm kinda heavy tho, I weigh 191 at the moment. Currently on a diet, lost 6 pounds in 2 weeks.

The problem I have is I'm not very active, since I want to enlist what should I focus on? all I do is push ups, sit ups and a 30 minute workout video everyday.

Thanks.

Similar Threads:

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Run.........Push back...from the table but still eat healthy by limiting calorie intake....There will be more Marines that give you advice.....but if you do a search in this forum...there is a wealth of information...Good luck!

Considering that a good part of your daily grind in boot camp as well as your PFT scores will be based on running, crunches and pullups, then consider working all three into your routine. The running should help knock off some of the pounds you're trying to lose.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    how tall are you?.....I am 6' 185lbs but don't consider myself "heavy" by any stretch.

I wouldn't worry too much about what kind of workouts you are doing...pushups, pull ups, crunches, and running is more than enough starting out. You need to be more concerned with calorie intake and what you're eating. Stay away from soda, bad carbs, and added sugar in foods

Credits
    Savings
    I stand 5 foot and 8 and a half inches tall. My diet consists of well balanced meals. So far I'm doing great.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swantoon View Post
    I stand 5 foot and 8 and a half inches tall. My diet consists of well balanced meals. So far I'm doing great.
    yeah, 191 is a bit heavy for 5'8"

Looks like whatever diet you're on is working. Your challenge will be consistency and staying committed to your goal.

You'll have to talk to a recruiter eventually anyway. Why not set up a meeting with one now. Tell them what your goals are and see if they are willing to work with you. They may let you PT with their poolees. Good luck.

Circuit training: Run 400m, stop do a set of pushups. Run 400m, stop do a set of pullups, run 400m, stop do a set of situps, etc. Do this for a total of 2.5-4 miles depending on your ability. You can do it easily on a treadmill or a track. Warm up cool down properly with a light jog. Also throw in some interval sprint/jog combos to your workout. Sprint 30 seconds, jog 30 seconds, repeat this combo 8 to 10 times.This alon with your current diet will cut the weight and pepare you bootcamp quickly.

That being said, the Marine Corps height weight standards need an overhaul IMO; theyre ridiculous. Just one of those things you have to abide by because its the rule. You lose 5 more pounds, you'll be within regs for your height. I was never fat, or even close. Played basketball in HS and a year in college, but im constantly 1 or 2 pounds under my max. I can destroy a PFT and CFT, but they really dont factor that in at all. Just get in regs and stay there.

At 5' 8" to be at shipping weight or even in heigh and weight standards for the Marine corps at 68" your max weight is 180 lbs so you have a minimum of 11 lbs you have to lose before you ship.

Your "I'm not very active" Statement is scary, why the hell are you wanting to join the Marine Corps if you arent very active? This is the most active freakin branch. Hell im no PT stud myself either i freely admit that but the words "I'm not very active" have never been put together in a statement that would form a sentence as such. Might need to rethink your priorities.

He said he's 5'8 1/2 though. Because of that 1/2 inch, they would round up to 5'9 which brings his max to 186.

Credits
    Savings
    @MunkyVsRobot, I want to change mentally and psychically into a better individual.

@everyone else, Thank you for the advice. Time to get to work.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Keep at it, you will see results---what you could do is come back on this same thread and keep us posted as to progress and change...good luck to you.

The poster is attempting to make some positive goals and changes in his life and is being respectful. He is not some high school dropout loser. Many of us have been in his shoes. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and try to be supportive - it's not that difficult.

Definitely not trying to stifile the applicants motivation just making sure he is aware of what he is getting himself into. Cause as soon as you step off that bus as you all know it is no longer just a you tube video or a story you heard it is real life and once you get smoke checked the first time its all too real.

Just keep up the hard work OP if it is something you want you have to do what you have to do inorder to attain your goal. Adapt and over come. Nothing in this world that is worth anything is attained easily. Hence why the title of Marine is earned and never given.

Thread Information