How to go Active Duty from Reserves
Create Post

How to go Active Duty from Reserves

I joined the Marine Corps as a reservist and absolutely hate life. I went reserves because of my parents health. And thats no longer an issue to me. I was told i would deploy…awesome. Now its just the grunts going. So i really don't know the point of going reserves. The messed up part USMC reservist don't even get money for college.

Though college isn't even an option since the military will be my career as soon as I get this problem fixed.

But if there is any way I can go active as soon as possible would be great. The civilian life is no joke and money is super extremely low. There is no way I'm going to be able to do this for 5 more years on my contract to re enlist as active. Tuna cans and water are getting old fast. The chow hall actually sounds good.

Similar Threads:

all I can say is talk to your recruiter!!! good luck devil!!!!

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    short and simple answer, it's not gonna happen

Reserves and Active are two completely different entities of the Corps. you signed a contract for the reserve, it's not as easy as just "switching over".
    To get started you'll want to get a DD368 conditional release form from a recruiter. from there that needs to be passed up your chain of command and signed off by every CO up to your first General Officer(4th MAW, 4th MLG, or 4th Mar Div depending on who you're with). As soon as this is accomplished that paperwork will come back to you and you have a 30 day window for a recruiter to get you re-contracted into active duty. This is where the trouble starts because unless a recruiter wants to hook you up and help you out, they don't get credit for you like they do a new poolee/recruit. And already being a Marine, the Corps has spent thousands of dollars training you and they don't want to have to do it all over again.

I went through the process back in 2009, my release form came back but that 30 days wasn't long enough for a recruiter to get me re-contracted. Once that 30 days is up you have to re-submit all the paperwork again in order to get it passed up and down the chain of command. This whole process can take up to almost a year, you're better off just staying where you're at and making it work.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    If you're having financial issues, talk to your platoon/company chain of command. There is resources available out there to help you and even a possibility for your I&I staff to put you on orders to get you paid.

Going to active duty isn't really a viable option as I have already explained

Should have thought about that before you enlisted. It can still be done but it isnt easy to do. Talk to your chain of command, good luck getting it though seeing as they are trying to get rid of 4000+ people off of AD this year alone.

Let me put it this way they are considering a General Officer as excess inventory if the Marine Corps sees a freakin General as excess inventory what does that say how the Marine Corps views you coming AD from reserves. they are trying to get rif of E3 and below by the thousands.

I appreciate it brothers. Big help and support from all of you. I've got drill this weekend and will ask around.
    Errah!
    -CJT13

Thread Information