Celebrating Your Birthday in Boot Camp Question
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Celebrating Your Birthday in Boot Camp Question

My son left last week for boot camp. When his 20th birthday rolls around, he will have been in boot for about 5 weeks. He will have been through the initial shock and awe and should be in 2nd phase. When I was in we had one guy receive a case of M&Ms that had to disappear in 10 minutes. I have heard of glitter in the envelopes and mushy cards.

I know that he will "appreciate" anything that is done.

What have you seen done for birthdays?

Similar Threads:

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    Just when I think I've seen it all.

when I was in boot, if you got anything out of the ordinary and if they found out that it was your birthday, you would up paying for it in a not so nice way..

Don't send him a thing,lol, Semper Fidelis.

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    like I said...

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    You got to be sh*ttin me .....

Oh ,yes You just got to send Him something He will " ENJOY "

PJones64
    Guest Free Member
    Don't let him just become a Marine or anything like that. Be that helicopter parent, forever hovering over him, then go to his first duty station with him, also.

Marine Free Member McT ontheRock71's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I celebrated my 23rd birthday on Parris Island in 1970. As luck would have it, my platoon was in the 3rd phase of training and we were two weeks from graduating. Some friends back home sent me a fruit cake which didn't reach me until ITR at Camp Geiger. We had a 1st Lt. as a Co. Commander and 3"butterbars as Troop Handlers. I was called to the CO's quarters after mail call one day and he handed me this smashed box addressed to me at Parris Island and told me to open it up. As I opened it, dried pieces of crumbled fruit cake fell from the package. The contents of the box were barely recognizable as food. The 1st Lt. told me that I had 5 minutes to eat it all and make it disappear. When I asked if I could share with the rest of the company I was told that the package as addressed to me, I my friends wanted me to share they would have addressed it to Fox Trot Co. To this day I can't stand to look at fruit cake.

PJones64
    Guest Free Member
    The original poster knows all this, he was in the Corps, which makes it doubly puzzling.

Quote Originally Posted by McT ontheRock71 View Post
    I celebrated my 23rd birthday on Parris Island in 1970. As luck would have it, my platoon was in the 3rd phase of training and we were two weeks from graduating. Some friends back home sent me a fruit cake which didn't reach me until ITR at Camp Geiger. We had a 1st Lt. as a Co. Commander and 3"butterbars as Troop Handlers. I was called to the CO's quarters after mail call one day and he handed me this smashed box addressed to me at Parris Island and told me to open it up. As I opened it, dried pieces of crumbled fruit cake fell from the package. The contents of the box were barely recognizable as food. The 1st Lt. told me that I had 5 minutes to eat it all and make it disappear. When I asked if I could share with the rest of the company I was told that the package as addressed to me, I my friends wanted me to share they would have addressed it to Fox Trot Co. To this day I can't stand to look at fruit cake.
    That's a funny story man!

Quote Originally Posted by PJones64 View Post
    The original poster knows all this, he was in the Corps, which makes it doubly puzzling.
    I was. And I didn't see or hear of anyone getting any "special attention" when it was their birthday.

Either we had it easier than most or you all are making it sound worse than it really was. Don't get me wrong getting bent sucked, but I can't remember one time that it was for anything other than what I deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by PJones64 View Post
    Don't let him just become a Marine or anything like that. Be that helicopter parent, forever hovering over him, then go to his first duty station with him, also.
    That makes no sense at all. Drugs are bad for you... you should lay off of that stuff.

PJones64, I was being facetious about sending His Son something for His Bday. Not be a Helicopter Parent. S/F

PJones64
    Guest Free Member
    I know. I was talking about post 1.

And just by the way, you make a post like post 1 where there are Marines of other eras you open yourself up.

Thread Information