First duty station question.
Create Post

First duty station question.

I'm a poolee going to boot camp soon. I'm signed for 35xx motor t. I just want to know what my chances are of getting stationed in Okinawa. I know I can put a request in after my MOS schooling to go overseas. I heard if you do well in school also you have a better chance of going where you want? I wasn't sure if that true. Either way, I just want to know what my chances are of getting stationed there, I'd really like to go.

Similar Threads:

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    You may find some info here in this section by doing a search, I don't know. But you'll get help here from some of the younger folks, I'm sure, knowledgeable people like josephd, munkyvsrobot, lcpl---I forget his exact username!----good luck and welcome to the site.

Our class we got to put down our first duty station on our 'dream sheet'. Our class was small and we only have 3 options so we all got our first choice. It will depend on your class and where your MOS is needed at the time the monitor places you.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Good info, and others will be along too, but just keep in mind that, ultimately, what controls is the ever-present "Needs of the Corps".

Not a lot of people request to go to Okinawa some do but ive noticed a lot of people for some reason join the Marine Corps and try to get stationed close to home which I personally dont understand. But if you are requesting it chances are good you will get it but just bear in mind it isnt guaranteed to you.

It will all come down to where they need motor T operators the most when you graduate MOS school. Your dream sheet will say "east coast, west coast, or overseas". There have been cases where the entire graduating class went to Okinawa because they needed that many there at that particular time. Other cases where nobody from a class went.

I think class standing depends on the school. I read at intel school, for example, the honor grad chooses first, and then they work their way down from there based on final GPA. My niece recently graduated from ground electronics school. She was the class leader so we were hopeful she would get her first choice of west coast. She actually went on to graduate honor grad but stayed at Camp LeJeune, NC on the east coast.

FYI. Okinawa is a 2 year duty assignment.

Thread Information