USMC Reserve Drill Schedule
Create Post

USMC Reserve Drill Schedule

I have a question about a co-worker I think is abusing his status as a reservist with his drill schedule. Now I know that unless you are in his unit you have no idea what his schedule actually is, so I'm just tying to see if this makes any sense in general. His schedule runs through August and every weekend includes the Friday before. So most of his drills are 3 day drills (5 out of 8). For the other three they are (1) a four day drill Thursday through Sunday, (2) an 8 day drill Friday through the next Friday and (3) 2 week AT.

The only one that makes sense is the 2 week AT. To my knowledge he has not provided a drill schedule to our boss.

Any thoughts from current or former USMC Reservists?

Similar Threads:

Why do you need to worry, if he fvcks it up he pays for it, Semper Fidelis.

It's not about whether or not he's making a mistake, it's about him abusing the system and taking more time off for days that are not really drill dates. He's an officer if that makes any difference.

It's all in his hands officer or not, some people just don't care to work the system until they get caught, Semper Fidelis.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Time off for drill is between the employer and the employee. The employer has to let the employee off work on drill dates by law, however, any additional time off is on a mutual agreement basis unless the employee has official orders for those extra days.

I often took extra days off for drill weekends, but I took comp time, vacation time, or whatever time off my employer and I agreed to. Seeing as this person is an officer, he probably takes the extra day to get his stuff in order for the weekend like I did as a senior NCO (I was in the Air Guard as a reservist).

My oldest daughter frequently takes Friday off before drill to go into the base and get her ducks in a row. For that matter, sometimes she takes an extra day after drill for the same reason.

But it comes down to this: If the employer is allowing the extra days off at the request of the employee - what is the problem?

is it paid time off? If not then what concern is it of yours? Hell even if it is paid time off what concern is it of yours, if he is playing the system they are going to shove Red October up his @$$ not yours.

4 day drill. Could be a variety of things; we have a 4 day drill coming up in March; we're going to the rifle range. Its very possible, so his 4 day drill makes perfect sense. The 8 day drill could be any other sort of required training for officers or a FEX where they will be in the field. Again; highly possible and plausible. Take into account hes an OFFICER. He runs the show along with his SNCOs and the I&I staff at the unit. His schedule actually mirrors mine almost perfectly. Drills generally run Saturday through Sunday; HOWEVER, our day kicks off at 5am Satuday and we sometimes secure around 2000 on Sunday. Its norml for our leadership to take the extra day off to square themselves away in preperation for drill weekend.

Drills can be very demanding on the Marines depending on the upcoming excercises and mandatory training; so my point is; leave the man be. He IS NOT taking advantage of the system. he's doing what needs to be done in order to remain an effective leader at his unit. Plus its none of your business what he does unless YOU are his employer.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    If the OP really wants to know....he ought to man up and join his co workers reserve unit..........

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    The schedule you explained actually sounds spot on and identical to mine.....And I will concur with the others on here when they say it is none of your business. If he puts in the request and it gets approved what difference does it make?.....I smell some envy coming from you OP.....mind your business

Thread Information