Marine Brother - Have Questions about Reserve/Active Duty
Create Post

Exclamation Marine Brother - Have Questions about Reserve/Active Duty

Greetings,

This is my first post on this forum. I am the brother of a Marine who recently graduated MOS (AAV Crewman) on December 18, 2014. He was stationed in Camp Pendleton in California. He is surprising my family by coming down New Years and he just informed me that he will be stationed in Galveston, Texas. I found out that he is going to be in the reserves now. Initially though, he signed up to be active duty for 6 years. My question is, "Is it possible for someone to just switch from active to reserve?" Is there a possibility that something went wrong or maybe he didn't like it and that's why he is now in the reserve? I can ask my brother these questions in person as well but he won't be in for a couple of days and this is something that he will probably have a hard time explaining if he's nervous or feels he let someone down. I just want to try and get as much information as possible. His explanation was that after MOS, due to military down-sizing, they gave him the option to stay active or go reserve and that he was attracted to the idea of being close to home and being able to go to school and be with family. This just seems odd because he was so excited about being in the Marines and he LOVED the camaraderie around his brothers in the platoon. He loves the physical combat aspect of it and it just took me by surprise that he would choose to go the "school/ work/ family" route and be back only a couple days throughout the week with his other devil dogs. Any and all information is greatly appreciated. I will follow up more questions once i start getting responses on here.

Thank you for your time,

Marine Brother