Veterans Can Now Track Delivery of Prescriptions
Create Post

Veterans Can Now Track Delivery of Prescriptions

Good news from the V.A.

http://www.va.gov/HEALTH/NewsFeature...scriptions.asp

Call it innovative thinking, ingenuity, or just a plain great idea to better serve Veterans! VA Secretary Robert A. McDonald recently reminded VA employees that the mission is clear — to serve Veterans. Putting Veterans at the center of VA is first and foremost.

For VA employee Kenneth Siehr, National Director, VA Consolidated Mail Out Pharmacy Program (CMOP), his great idea not only foreshadowed the sentiments expressed by Secretary McDonald months later, but brought national recognition to VA and My HealtheVet.

Joining four other federal finalists, Siehr’s innovative idea for the President’s 2013 Securing America’s Value and Efficiency (SAVE) Award focused on the use of technology to save money and improve the services VA provides to Veteran patients.

This innovative idea — now a reality — won the Presidential SAVE Award in December 2013. In February 2014, Siehr met with President Obama to discuss his winning proposal. Following that meeting, work to implement his funded idea began.

Siehr’s idea allows Veteran patients to track the delivery of their VA prescriptions online through My HealtheVet at www.myhealth.va.gov. He believed that taking the idea of a self-service delivery tracking tool would improve customer service to Veterans by giving them the ability to track their VA refill medications online, 24/7. This online option is designed to be both efficient and customer-focused. It may eliminate a portion of the estimated 1.8 million telephone calls to VA health care facilities generated from Veterans seeking to track their medication delivery each year.

“Our nation’s Veterans deserve a first-class pharmacy and customer service as a part of the exceptional health care available from VA,” said Siehr. “It is an honor to be part of serving Veterans and to have been recognized for an idea that enhances service to those Veterans. They deserve nothing less, and online prescription tracking on My HealtheVet delivers on that commitment.”

“Siehr looked at the process of VA prescription tracking through the eyes of Veteran patients and came up with an idea,” said Theresa Hancock, Director, My HealtheVet. “This idea was both innovative and transformative. We are pleased to be part of moving this idea into action to improve service to America’s Veterans.”

More than 4,000 Veterans are already using VA’s Prescription Tracker available on My HealtheVet every day. Postcards are being sent to enrolled Veteran patients so that they may learn more about the new Prescription Tracking feature.

This is one of many features available for Veterans on My HealtheVet. If you are a Veteran enrolled in VA and are not currently registered on My HealtheVet visit www.myhealth.va.gov today! For questions, please contact the My HealtheVet Coordinator at your VA medical center.
    - See more at: http://www.va.gov/HEALTH/NewsFeature....8h7uNaeZ.dpuf