Question about overusing Robotussin.
Create Post

Question about overusing Robotussin.

My name is Nicholas Steffey, all I've ever dreamed of is becoming a Marine after everyone else in my family has failed at what they've aspired to be. I've lost 140 pounds and have gotten in the best shape of my life I've ever been. I have nothing that will medically disqualify me at MEPS, aside from one thing. Back in June I had to undergo a laprascopic gallbladder surgery and had to provide my recruiter with all the med docs. Within those med docs it states that I was "addicted" to robotussin cough syrup. The nurse practitioner that did the prescreen must have misunderstood me when I said I had abused it 6-7 times in the course of a year. I have a statement from both the nurse and my mother stating that I was never addicted. Will I be a psych consult at MEPS or will I just be disqualified? I'm on a six month TDQ from my surgery, and aspiring to go MEPS in February.

Thanks, Marines.

Similar Threads:

Also, it's been almost 9 months now since I've overused the robotussin, it was around half a bottle when I did it, I've thought about making a statement myself to explain my actions, but I did not know if that would be a good or bad decision.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    No idea, but good luck and please keep us posted on this same thread....there are no recruiters here, but one, and he hasn't been on here in quite awhile. Maybe someone else can answer your question.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Some of these younger folks might very well have some good info

Quote Originally Posted by USMC2571 View Post
    No idea, but good luck and please keep us posted on this same thread....there are no recruiters here, but one, and he hasn't been on here in quite awhile. Maybe someone else can answer your question.
    Will do. I should find out in 48-72 hours.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Kind of suspenseful, the waiting. But hang in there, and come back and let us know. Again, good luck.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    All I can say is.....good luck

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Good luck...one thing to be thankful for if nothing else...you won't have a cough for a while!

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    I also had abused medication before boot camp. When I was 18, I was infected with gonorrhea. I was allergic to pencillin, so the Doctor prescribed Mydixadrippin. One of the side effects was, it produced a mild sensation of orgasm. I actually started looking for women with VD. I told my Recruiter about this addiction and he had dialog with a Navy doctor. Who in turn prescribed me Mycoxaflopin. Within 2 weeks I was seeing a plastic surgeon to repair my penis, which had almost rotted off. To make a long story short....stay away from loose women....especially if you have a bad cough! I hope you make it, Son. Good Luck with that cough.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Hilarious, as always, Billy....LOL

Thanks for all your support and luck wishes. I'm still unsure on the verdict, I'm gathering a few more medical documents before we send my paperwork off to MEPS. I almost don't know if I'd be smarter to wait until they switch recruiters (they're in the process right now), and start completely over and maybe leave a few things off the books, but then again I don't want to lie.

Your 1st mistake was telling a nurse you abused robotussin. You said you abused it 6 to 7 times; abused=addiction. You abuse a drug, it indicates that you're addicted to it. As long as you kicked the habit, I dont see the issue; but im not a recruiter. Good luck and keep us updated.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Good points, as usual---OP, don't let this thread go to the bottom of the pile, if you have updated info.

Thread Information