What's the best path: Enlisted vs. Officer?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member Moga54's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

What's the best path: Enlisted vs. Officer?

Hello.

First off I'd like to thank the Marines on this website for taking a look at this post. Your time is very appreciated.

I haven't posted yet despite having been a member as I have been skimming through the forum and doing my research on the Corp. so that when I was of age to make the decision to join (being that I turned 18 yesterday) I would be fully informed. The only thing that I haven't been able to decide on is what my first step should be.

My maternal grandfather, Pfc. Thomas F. Sweeney, served during in Korean conflict, my father during the Vietnam conflict and a mentor of mine in high school served as an MP as well. All three of these Marines were enlisted and each of them have encouraged me to join, but each recommended becoming an officer- which is aggravating in a sense because I'd rather be standing in the yellow footprints at Parris Island as I am ready and eager to earn the title right after graduating high school.

My question is this:
    Is it better that I enlist and go in after I graduate high school, or should I charge through my four years of college and become an officer?

Aside of the pay and responsibility what sets officers and enlisted apart?

I understand there are many years of knowledge and wisdom here and I'm humbly asking for Marines from both sides of the spectrum to share their experiences and compare.

Subsequently, the ROTC program seems like the best option from what I've gathered in terms of officership and college- but to me I do not like the idea of coming out of college as an officer without any knowledge of what the Marine's I'd be serving with have gone through- or possessing the wisdom and experience I'd have otherwise.
    Respect is earned, naturally, but starting off as some wannabe officer fresh out of school doesn't seem as appealing as being able to relate to my men on the enlisted side.

Thank you in advance.
    Zachary T.S. Lespier

(I filled out the profile to the best of my knowledge as I know that's the criteria before posting, but should I have missed anything on here please give me a heads up so I can fix it. I'm hoping to earn my place both in the Corp and amongst the leatherneck.com community.)

Similar Threads:

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    First, happy birthday---second, you'd be surprised how often the officer v enlisted route comes up. Do a search in this section and you'll find lengthy discussions of this very question. They are two different worlds, officer and enlisted. One of the most common issues that comes up is that the poster does not see himself as qualified to lead Marines, figuring he should be an enlisted Marine first---again, do a search on this topic of officer and enlisted.

OCS teaches you, develops you into what you already are, on some level, and what you will become. You do not necessarily benefit a whole lot by being enlisted first.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you USMC2571.
    I suppose i'd better read more here then and see what others have said.
    Highly appreciated.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Glad to be of some small amount of help.

There IS no "best" path, it's strictly a matter of which you want. I would recommend sitting down face to face with a recruiter, and then an Officer Selection Officer, gather as much info as you can, gather info here, and keep this thread alive or it will sink to the bottom of the pile in no time, and PM josephd, who is knowledgeable in general but in this area especially, and also munkyvsrobot, in case they don't wander in here. They probably will on their own, but PM them to be sure. Gather all the info, decide, but you have time to do this. Make a list on a piece of paper, pros and cons for each, officer and enlisted, and give it some thought. But do speak (in person) with OSO and a recruiter, get some brochures, booklets etc also, from their offices.

Credits
    Savings
    Do OSO's generally reside in recruiting depot's or is that a separate contact?

(The Sergeant I'd talked to after my school administered the ASVAB was just transferred so I'll be starting fresh when I do make the phone call for a meeting so I'm not sure if he'll be the Marine to talk to.)

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    GO TO COLLEGE!....while in school you can decide what you wanna do, either get a PLC commissioning package started with an OSO or enlist when you graduate.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    It's noteworthy that, I just noticed, the three Marines in your life ALL recommended you go the officer route if you can, and josephd says it too, and I join with them.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC2571 View Post
    It's noteworthy that, I just noticed, the three Marines in your life ALL recommended you go the officer route if you can, and josephd says it too, and I join with them.
    I am not suggesting going the officer route at all....being an officer is not something certain people should pursue. for the longest time being an officer is all I wanted, after going on deployment though and becoming an NCO(now a Sgt) I cant even imagine being an officer anymore and don't want to be.

I just wanted to suggest that he goes to college and does that first, that way he has options

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    I am not suggesting going the officer route at all....being an officer is not something certain people should pursue. for the longest time being an officer is all I wanted, after going on deployment though and becoming an NCO(now a Sgt) I cant even imagine being an officer anymore and don't want to be.

I just wanted to suggest that he goes to college and does that first, that way he has options
    This needs to be emphasized.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Oh, I understand now. Sorry, gentlemen.
    OP you may or may not be officer material. (It's not for everybody). Sit own with an OSO though, just to see, or try to see.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    I recommend that because you may in fact BE officer material. A lot of people are. But a lot aren't. The OSO will help you decide where you fit in or don't fit in. Be sure and keep us updated.

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Your either a leader or not. Ask yourself that question with what has life been so far with you. Only then will you know your path grasshopper.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Words of wisdom from Jimmy, as always

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baker1971 View Post
    Your either a leader or not.
    ^this^ x100

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks all.

Im going to arranging a meeting with a local OSO.
    I'll talk it over with him but, personally (in response to that internal question), I wouldn't hesitate to say that based on life experience and persona I am a leader. Regardless I'll stay open minded and humble talking to my OSO.
    Again, thank you folks.

Ill keep you guys posted.

Would anyone here consider the Naval Academy (Marine Option) a viable mix of both? I would be able to meet the criteria from whats i've read of it.

Thread Information