MOS Experience and Advice
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

MOS Experience and Advice

I am planning on enlisting in the Marine Corps and am having a hard time picking a MOS before talking to recruiter. I have done a lot of research and dont want to ask my recruiter about them because I know he will most likely just tell me what I want to hear. I am looking for an MOS that isnt a "desk job" type, I would like to be involved in some action too. I looked into Intel and found out it was more so a desk job type, and a few others seemed that way I looked into. I would like to do something that is more out in the field but wasnt exactly looking to go into infantry like a rifleman or machine gunner, but would rather have that as my MOS than something like Intel or a Logistics job. I also looked into Artillery and I read that while you would be in action most dont go out much and spend most time just cleaning and fixing the howitzers than anything else.
    Im just having some trouble figuring out what certain MOS entail and was trying to get some first hand descriptions of what some of yall have experienced in more I guess "action" oriented MOS.
    I understand that every MOS plays an equally important role this is just what I would be more interested in I believe.

Similar Threads:

I also am a student between my sophmore and junior year at the University of Georgia and have pretty decent grades so I think I should be able to place well with the ASVAB. Also I know I could finish college an go in as an officer but I want to enlist. Just wanted to clear up some topics I could see being brought up to hone in farther on my questions.

first things first. before you get your heart set on an MOS be aware that it might be filled when you enlist. second im in an infantry MOS and have never seen combat. the war is for the most part over and the chances of you going to fight somewhere is slim. if infantry isn't getting any right now im pretty sure arty isn't either. but there are a lot of MOS that can see combat due to the fact that every marine is a rifleman first. even an admin clerk can be deployed somewhere and be in the right place at the right time. the big non infantry jobs that see combat that I can think of off the top of my head are anything within combat support such as an AAV Crewman or Tank Crewman. there are also Radio Operators that are not infantry but deal with all the communications within an infantry squad. they do a lot of field work just like infantry. you can also go infantry Security forces. with that you are an infantry marine but your job is to deploy overseas to reinforce American embassy's if there is a threat. my recommendation if you want some what of a field job without being infantry I would look into radio operator or AAV Crewman(Amphibious Assault Vehicle). good luck

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Isn't most every MOS description available on the Internet? Good luck with whatever choice you make. I'll mention one thing though, and that is that without having been involved with any MOS, you might be pleasantly surprised by some of them. People have thought they would not like this or that, then come to find out it was a good job for them after all, they just didn't know much about it beforehand, or prejudged it, figuring they hate desk jobs. But a lot of MOSs involve working behind a desk in some way, at some point...keep researching. Good luck to you, keep asking questions here, you'll get some good answers and good advice, as I can see already.

This will probably sound pretty stupid but I get claustrophobic not really bad but I think from the looks of a video I saw an AAV is pretty tight so that was my reasoning on not liking that MOS. Also with Radio Operater Ive heard that it was dull and you just are constantly fixing your radio and stuff. Im not sure on that but thats just what Ive read in forums. I dont mind not actually getting into combat in the Middle East but I would still be training and doing exciting things in that I think. I read an article where a Rifleman never saw real combat but traveled around training in different areas of the world and that seems like it would be interesting to me too.

They are available on the USmilitary website but they give a kind of vague general description but Ive found first hand experience provides a lot better description.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    That's an example of what I was just talking about. Someone, even a couple of people, say that a job is boring or stupid or whatever, and it turns out that was their opinion and others loved that job. So be careful when evaluating an MOS based on what others have said about it.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Maybe someone here knows where to look for detailed MOS descriptions.....PM or check with munkyvsrobot and josephd, two very helpful Marines here.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    I can't help you directly, because when I was in things were different, needless to say, regarding how we got our MOSs

another couple jobs I forgot to mention was Motor-transport, Combat engineer and Military Police. these MOS are not desk jobs and have a chance to see some combat. a recruiter can tell you more about those specific jobs or check them out on Google. as for the asvab you need a 31 to get infantry and to open all jobs you need at least a 50. if you do decide to enlist after you go to meps and take the asvab and become a poolee your recruiter should give you a list of jobs from that list you will choose three that you would most prefer however those three are not guaranteed. if you have more questions feel free to ask

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Good advice.

Would you be able to describe what you do as a Combat Engineer and MP? At first I was turned off from MP because I would never want to be a cop but from what Ive heard it seems much different than that.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    I don't know how much time you have before you have to decide, but it sounds like a long time, so keep this thread alive, pm those two I mentioned, they are very helpful, and just keep getting info. Good luck. Anything any of us can do, let us know. PM me anytime.

Ok cool. I plan on enlisting after my spring semester of classes so probably anytime after May 2015 so I do have some time. Thank yall for all the help Im surprised everyone was so helpful so quickly

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Well, the thing to do is to prevent this thread from falling by the wayside, which it will do quite quickly unless you keep it alive now and then. The longer you do, the more opinions and advice will flow in......

Thread Information