Infantry mos
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Infantry mos

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Infantry mos

First thanks to all marines for servng. I am thinking about trying to join. Talked with a friend of my uncle, who was a Vietnam USMC vet and he was saying that combat nowadays is nothing like it used to be, they were out in open country, but Afganistan and Iraq are not to be compared. Reagardless I would like 0311. Can anyone tell me if that is true about combat then and now, and do I have a chance to chose another mos beside 0311 if there are no openings in Infantry thank you for your service.

Similar Threads:

Youve been asking these same questions since 2011 why dont you just go talk to a friggin recruiter, as a matter of fact dont go talk to anyone you are just going to be wasting their time.

Im not trying to be a d!ck but $#!+ or get off the pot.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you well one thing is that I was just beginning high school at the time and now am a senior, but I will surely talk with a recruiter as soon as I can. Thank you for your service, sir.

Credits
    Savings
    Also in my post I said my uncles friend said about combat that its not the same these days as when he was in , he called it a walk in the park these days, but in my mind combat is combat, if anyone can tell me if hes right or wrong or what combat is like in this day and age. Again, I will talk to a recruiter about the infantry mos

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Son, I usually don't waste my time responding to stupid questions. However, I'm making you an exception, because I some what feel sorry for your Mother. Might I suggest that you do the Corps a favor and join the Air Force. It would be a terrible wrong to waste such a brilliant mind in combat. Better still....I think you would better serve your Country by joining the Peace Corps. That way, you can tell your buds that you joined the Corps to keep peace. I'm sure your poor Mom would be proud if you was serving in the Peace Corps in another Country. I'm sure what ever you decide, it will be in the best interest to all concerned if you waited until you have grandkids to make your final decision. Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey122 View Post
    Also in my post I said my uncles friend said about combat that its not the same these days as when he was in , he called it a walk in the park these days, but in my mind combat is combat, if anyone can tell me if hes right or wrong or what combat is like in this day and age. Again, I will talk to a recruiter about the infantry mos
    Your Uncle's friend is an IDIOT... and he doesn't have a clue what the combat situations are...rather, what the Service Members of todays military have to deal with.

That's one of the most disrespectful things I have read on this forum.

He (and maybe you) only need to visit any VA Hospital rehab ward and chat with some of the veterans. Then he will likely be humbled to the point of tears.

Viet Nam was "the rumble in the Jungle", but doesn't compare to the challanges of combat (i.e., IEDs) that exist in ASSKrakistan.

I spent my time is SE Asia....But, as far as my druthers, I'd much rather "hump in the Jungle/Bush", than fight in the friggin' desert/mountains of the recent wars.

Again, your Uncle's friend is an idiot (douche bag) for even making comments like that.

Credits
    Savings
    That's why I was asking about the difference between combat then and now. And regarding the Air Force, I would rather be infantry, so that kind of eliminates that branch for me, at least.
    Those comments were just something said to my uncle sir, sorry to repeat some of it here. But I don't know why Im being blamed for something someone else said, I was just making a question out of it.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    if anyone can tell me if hes right or wrong or what combat is like in this day and age
    Different weapons ...different bombs.....different booby traps....you shoot at.....you get shot at! War is war.....just different enemies and technology.....you kill or be killed.....no easy answer except your uncles "friend" needs to know what he is talking about!

Credits
    Savings
    I was thinking about that old line, The Shadow Knows, from radio days, and my uncle says Shadow has it all wrong. But that's between Shadow and him, I'm just wanting to get in there and serve my country. If shadow has anything else, take it up with my uncle and his friend, I'm not responsible for their views. But from everything Ive red in history, Vietnam was much tougher place to be than the Stan.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    You'll go far son.....one day you might make a good lawyer!

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    The kid has drive, I'll give him that. Reminds me of myself when I was younger, joining up 2 weeks after turning 17. My mother had to co-sign as I signed up when I was 16.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    It's not where you did your time.....it's what you did and what you was involved in while you was there! Remember that!! Everyone that served in a war zone, wasn't a combat Marine. Marines in VN suffered more casualties than Marines in WW2. There was more Marines killed in 1968 alone, than all branches of the military combined, in both Afgan and Iraq together since 2001, up to today. There was 15 Marines killed in Nam to every 1 killed in Afgan and Iraq together. You be your own judge, Son. That so called rumble in the jungle had more wounded and killed Marines, than WW2, Afgan, and Iraq combined.

Don't feed the trolls. think this thread needs to be closed and someone needs a time out before it degrades any further.

PJones64
    Guest Free Member
    Degrades? time out? are you a mod? Nothing wrong with discussing combat. Stay away and don't read it if you are dissatisfied with it

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    Munky reminds me of sgt rock of easy company, josephd.

Thread Information