enlisting with a almost eight year old felony and been off probation almost a year
Create Post

enlisting with a almost eight year old felony and been off probation almost a year

Hello to all. I am David Thomas. First, I would like to begin with thanking all of you for serving the country, regardless of whether you have been deployed or not. I can honestly say that all Men and Women in uniform should be held in the highest honor for following their call of duty and serving the country. Now, with that out of the way, I have an honest question. Can anyone give me some advice on enlisting in the Marine Corps with an almost eight year old felony and having been off of probation for almost a year? I was on this forum a while back but i cannot remember how long ago it was. I asked the same question but I was still on probation then and I actually went to a recruiter about three years ago but they said no. This really means alot to me as this has been a life goal for myself since i was about twelve or thirteen years old. I have tried making a better life for myself in the civilian world but no one is seeming interested in giving me a chance to prove myself as a law-abiding competent citizen. I am fighting with every fiber of my body to keep from doing the things that would lead to me going back to jail. Therefore, I feel like that this is my only option to better myself. Do not get me wrong. First and foremost, I look at this as an opportunity to serve my county and do what I can to protect it. I would rather die fighting for my country rather than see it go to the wolves. Next, I would consider it a great honor to serve along side others who are fighting and have fought for this country since it's inception. I guess I am babbling on about nothing but this is truly what i want for my life. So, if anyone has any advice, I would consider everything that has been said in regards to this. Just please treat me with respect as I have matured since the debacle that I posted the last time i was on here. Thank you for your time in reading this.

Sincerely,
    David Thomas

Similar Threads:

have you gotten all of your rights back? that will be very important, second, I am not sure anymore as to whether you can with any felony, and now with things the way they are the Marines can pretty much pick and choose as to who they really want or not. But I would check with your local recruiter they would have all of the latest info on restrictions and to whether or not you could get a waver for it.. Good Luck and please keep us posted as to what happens..

Something you said bothers me. If joining the MC is the only thing that would keep you out of prison, keep you from going back to your old ways, I don't think the MC that I served in would want you. The Marine Corps choses men of high integrity, you seem to show none. Just saying.

David -- there's no way to tell you but a felony is one indelible mark which can't be erased easily or if possible ever for consideration to joining the Marine Corps. As the above posters said, chances are slime to none. The Marine Corps is not a rehab unit; you need to move on. Good luck.

You would at least require a district level waiver, if not a regional waiver from the Eastern or Western Recruiting Region. My advice would be to contact a local recruiter who knows what the current regulations are.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I remember You Son must admit Your a persistent fella sooo I'm pulling 4 ya...if ya don't get in it ain't the USMC it's just the Way that of is...Become a Cop & a Good 1 @that! Now if You become a Marine be a good 1 Goodluck Go Easy Semper Fi that

No, thanks for trying. Unless you can get a pardon from the governor, or a really high level waiver it is just a pipe dream at this point for you.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    I remember you also..... I wish you luck with your dreams ....but unless you get it completely expunged.....you need to keep sleeping. As stated you may think you need to join.....to rehabilitate yourself but first you have to rehabilitate your mindset. Good Luck!

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Why not see a recruiter now, if you saw one three years ago? Only they can say for sure if you can get in, even though the advice here is from knowledgeable folks, as always. Wouldn't a recruiter be the definitive answer, though?

Since I have not been active duty for a very long time, I would suggest you see your nearest Recruiting Office. Kinda sounds like you are SOL.

I thank you all for your input. I know it is a slim to none chance but at least I will show my self that I tried. I will go to a recruiter as soon as possible and see what can be done. As to the one who said i seem to have or show no integrity, I did turn myself in for the felony. Also, when i was incarcerated, I followed every rule there was in the jail, not to mention, I followed all rules and regulations of probation and never got a strike against myself in that regard except traffic tickets. I think I have better integrity than some other people i know here at home. Some people have so little INTEGRITY AND RESPECT for themselves, their families, and others that they keep getting in legal trouble and going back to jail again and again. That is what I call no integrity. They didn't learn from their past mistakes. However, I did and I have made a promise to myself and my family that I WILL DO MY BEST TO KEEP MY BUTT OUT OF JAIL AND PRISON. For being on five years of probation and not getting in any trouble during that time or afterwards, I think I have more integrity than you give me credit for. Also, I do not think of The Marine Corps as a rehab unit or a way to keep out of jail. Rather, I think of it as the proper thing to do to defend the country. Have you all ever heard the part in the Declaration of Independence where it state: All men have certain unalienable rights, among those are Life, Liberty, and The Persuit of Happiness. Well, I will not be happy until I am a Marine. I consider The Marine Corps as the Pinnacle of the United States Armed Forces. So, all this is just food for thought. Thanks Again. David

Thread Information