Refuse a promotion?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Refuse a promotion?

Good evening ladies and gentleman.

I have recently accepted an offer for a 1st-term reclassed (lateral move) into a new MOS due to personal issues. As a result of signing a reclass agreement notice from the career planner, my PMOS instantly changed to a placeholder, MOS field (ex. 0300 instead of a specific MOS such as 0311, 0331, 0341, ect.) because I haven't gone through the schoolhouse for my new MOS yet. Somehow, the "placeholder MOS" rates a cutting score which happens to be very low compared to that of my current MOSand I got notified today that I'm set to pick up corporal on Monday!

This may sound absolutely ridicilous to ask, but is there a clear process on refusing/delaying a regular promotion? I have only been in the Fleet for only 5 months and feel like I should be more technically profecient in my MOS including my future one, which is why I prefer to at least delay my promotion until I graduate from the schoolhouse and actually acquire my new MOS. I just feel absolutely guilty that other junior Marines in my current MOS have been doing their duties for year, but still have a long way to go to make the cut, but I was able to pick up due to an instant change in my training record. They are clearly much more senior and qualified, and have greater expertise in our MOS than what I possess.

This may deny me reenlistment opportunities and cost a career down the road, but, as of this moment, I don't think I have the competency to lead Marines that are much more qualified and deserving of the grade of E-4. Until I have progress myself to the technical profeciecny of my MOS, I am willing to pass over this promotion and was wondering of if there are any cases of this similiar.

My gratitude to all!

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    First question I have is....What is the MOS that you speak of?

My $.02....take the promotion. Being technically un-proficient doesn't necessarily make you a bad leader, especially in this case(depending on the MOS of course).

But I really would have to know the MOS before I make a suggestion on what you should do.

All that said I don't think you can turn down/deny a regular promotion like this. If you're absolutely adamant about it though I would tell you just to bring it up with anyone in your chain, I guess they could not pin you and they place a non-rec in the system to make it official and then you'd probably have to sign a pg.11 entry too.

Refusing this would create alot of headache(paperwork) for you and the leaders in charge of you.

I say, take the promotion and own it. Live up to it. Study and ask questions of those who you look to for leadership and git r' dun.

Your promotion isn't all about your MOS, so take it, they may not offer it again. If you can't show you're a leader now, how are you going to show you're a leader later. If you're worried about learning your new job then your just going to have to work a little bit harder. This is your chance to showcase your abilities so don't blow it. Adapt and overcome Marine. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    But I really would have to know the MOS before I make a suggestion on what you should do.
    I am lat moving into 0651 from 6176.

PJones64
    Guest Free Member
    I think you look bad even attempting to turn down a promotion.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Accept the promotion.....Learn your new MOS to the best of your ability....learn from your LCPL's..PFC's...and PVT's.

Prove yourself...and continue to Improve yourself until you are the one most proficient in your skills.

Even though your are not confident in your abilities now.....LEARN ....ADAPT.......

I am quite sure if your command does not think you can lead and do the job....they will demote you for no confidence.

PJones64
    Guest Free Member
    When you think about it, do you really think everyone who has been promoted, knows what he or she should know? Probably not every one of them.

I was in the Corps only 14 months and with the fleet only 2 months when I was promoted to Cpl. Something about last man standing and such.

Anytime the Corps is going to give you something -- Take it.

Took me ten years to move from Sgt E-4 to Sgt. E-5. In between I was an Acting Sgt., Buck Sgt., Sgt. (E4), and finally Sgt. E-5.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LastXdeth View Post
    I am lat moving into 0651 from 6176.
    Yes, take the promotion

I am not trying to degrade your MOS or the rank of being a Cpl at all but does being a Cpl in your MOS really involve being a real leader like being in a 03xx MOS....No.

I would just say be humble when you go to your new unit, those Marines there don't know.

accept the promotion, but if this is an MOS where there may be quite a bit of junior Marines be prepared to be hated by them. Not necessarily at the school house but i know id be ****ed as a fleet marine if i was in the fleet and you came into my MOS as a cpl without even going through the school house.

Then again it would be a direct reflection upon that Marine if the cutting score is so low to not get the promotion.

in my opinion why the hell would you want to ever refuse a promotion? more money sure more responsibility especially being an NCO in an MOS you know nothing about but think about it being the same as cpls who lat move into MOS and pick up sgt and yet know nothing about the MOS it is the same.

Accept the promotion and rise to the occasion. you will either rise to the top or sink to the bottom you decide which you do.

So upon further investigation i am calling bull crap on a lot of this unless you can come up with how you went from a 1510 cutting score to 1674. you dont get an extra 164 points for lat moving (these are the cutting scores to pick up for Dec 1) unless you are saying you are getting meritoriously promoted.

If it was the other way i get it a 1510 is a low low cutting score i got promoted with a 1648 but if the cutting score for your original MOS is lower than the one you are moving into im calling BS.

ETA:
    so you dont think i am BSing heres the link to the man power website witht he cutting scores for corporal

https://www.manpower.usmc.mil/cuttin...month=Dec-2014

Attached Images Attached Images

just realized my mistake he is talking about the 61XX mos my apologies if that is the case. If you do get promoted and do not pass the school house you lose your promotion keep that in mind. Linguist tend to pick up while they are in the school house as their school is almost 1 1/2 years long. you only rate the promotion if you graduate.

Thread Information