Depentant question
Create Post
    Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question Depentant question

Hey guys I just had a quick question. At the moment i'm on a Udp in okinawa, and I plan to get marrid when i get back, and the girl i intend to marry has a daughter from a previous marriage and her daughter will be living with us. The question i, will she be a dependant in my pay? May be a stupid question but i dont know much about this area, not my job hehe.

please dont give me advice about watching out for gold diggers, i get enough crap from the other guys in my company.

Similar Threads:

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    The reason im asking is that after this UDP 2/9 is disbanding and i'm going to 1/2, which is coming to oki next august. So with me going on another deployment i want to make sure they are both well taken care of financially while im gone.

are you talking about, in the eyes of the federal Gov. or in the eyes of the Marine Corps,, in the eyes of the federal gov. I believe if you supply more then 50% of the financial support for the child, or if you and your wife file a joint tax return then you can claim her as a dependent in ether case.. as far as the Marine Corps goes, you have to talk to your command, as they will have to give permission and set up all of your financial aspects of the marriage.. but once you're married then the child is a part of the package deal and she then would be your dependent as well,, IMO

You might have to adopt her in order to get her benefits and get her enrolled in tricare which is what i am assuming the purpose of the question is in regards to. Your FRO really should be the one to tell you that or call your Tricare rep.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    For the purpose of your enlistment, the term “dependent” includes:
    • A spouse
    • An unmarried, adopted, or stepchild under the age of 18 living with you
    • An unmarried natural child of yours under the age of 18
    • Any person living with you who is, by law or in fact, dependent upon you for support; or not living with you and dependent upon you for over one-half of his or her support
    • Any person for whom you are responsible for his or her financial or custodial care

As stated check with your Admin office.....

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    As stated check with Admin..................For the purpose of your enlistment, the term “dependent” includes:
    • A spouse
    • An unmarried, adopted, or stepchild under the age of 18 living with you
    • An unmarried natural child of yours under the age of 18
    • Any person living with you who is, by law or in fact, dependent upon you for support; or not living with you and dependent upon you for over one-half of his or her support
    • Any person for whom you are responsible for his or her financial or custodial care

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks everyone, thats a question I've had for a while

As Phantom Blooper's post says, a step-child living with you or for whom you're providing at least 50% support is considered your dependent. You don't need to adopt a step-child for them to be covered by TriCare. Your wife is also considered your dependent, so you would get BAH at the with dependents rate, but there is no increase for having 2 dependents.

http://www.cac.mil/docs/required_docs.pdf has the list of documents needed to register a dependent in DEERS, which is necessary to access TriCare and other benefits. You'll also have to provide similar documents to your Admin to update your records and start your BAH.

Thread Information