Being a reservist while in college
Create Post

Being a reservist while in college

I've been seriously thinking about joining the reserves as a sophomore in college, but still have some thinking to do and want to get the opinions of marines who have been there already. I was also involved in OSO for a a little over half a year and the gunny there recommended me to the gunny for regular recruiting but I haven't managed to get ahold of him yet but when I do I'll talk to him for at least a little while. If anyone could answer one or more of these questions I'd appreciate it.

First off, is it possible I'd do more than one weekend a month and 2 weekends a month in the summer? If I could apply for it then I might like to, but I'd also like to know if it's possible I'll be forced into it since that could possibly impact classes.

Second, how hard is it to go from reserves to active duty? My plan would be to join the reserves then try and get a contract to go to OCS after college (my college is organized where, aside from one 2-3 week break in the spring, summer, fall, and winter, everyone has to be in class all year long so I couldn't take time off for PLC) but if I couldn't do that then when I was out of college I would want to go active duty enlisted.

Third, what would generally be the best contract to sign (from what I understand there are different contracts that break up how many years are spent in drilling and how many years are spent in IRR)?

Lastly, honestly how much would it help my chances of being selected for OCS if I was a reservist? That's not the only reason I want to be a reservist (I'd rather enlist in the Marine Corps than join a ROTC and be an Army officer) but it is something I consider a benefit and if it isn't as helpful as I think it is then I don't want any surprises. I want to go in with my eyes as open as I can get them.

Thanks

Similar Threads:

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    PM josephd and a couple of others who routinely answer these kinds of questions that come up all the time here......munkyvsrobot is another great source of info, trying to think of others, but josephd and munky come to mind immediately as folks always willing to help out in this section of the forum.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    First, yes it is possible and probably likely that you'll do more than one weekend/month and 2-weeks/year. You have no choice or say in the matter really, until you're an NCO and can pick what kind of AT(annual training) period for the 2-weeks you want to do.(can do multiple or just one that lasts sometimes 3-4 weeks)

Second, going active duty from the reserves is extremely hard almost impossible. That is from the enlisted side though. If you you are going to go to OCS via PLC and commission then is easy because your PLC contract will guarantee you an active duty seat(ground, air, or law). PLC is the only way to go to OCS anymore really, OCC is being phazed out and has only been offering reserve slots for officers anyway.

Third, 6x2....end of discussion.

Lastly, your chances of selection for OCS/PLC are no greater as a reservist Marine than as a civilian college student. I've been through the process multiple times; unless you are an NCO/SNCO with a deployment and real leadership experience under your belt your title as a Marine really doesn't hold much water with an OSO.

If commissioning is your ultimate goal then stick with your OSO and get a PLC contract. Enlisting in the reserves is a complete waste of your and the Corps' time/money/resources.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC2571 View Post
    PM josephd and a couple of others who routinely answer these kinds of questions that come up all the time here......munkyvsrobot is another great source of info, trying to think of others, but josephd and munky come to mind immediately as folks always willing to help out in this section of the forum.
    I'm an enlisted reservist 03, got my bachelor's and figure it's high time to head to OCS myself... any idea how ECP works? I'd kind of rather get my questions answered on here before I start bugging my COC with stupid questions. Do you think those members you mentioned might be able to help me out as well?

whats the point of a chain of command if you dont use it?

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FNGatLAR View Post
    I'm an enlisted reservist 03, got my bachelor's and figure it's high time to head to OCS myself... any idea how ECP works? I'd kind of rather get my questions answered on here before I start bugging my COC with stupid questions. Do you think those members you mentioned might be able to help me out as well?
    Regular ECP doesn't really apply to reservists, reservists can do a Reserve ECP but that keeps you in the reserves as an officer also. You should contact an OSO in your area and he can better point you in the direction you need to go. Because you already have your degree your only option really is to go through OCC(officers candidate course) which I heard was being phased out and only had reserve seats anyway.

Thanks josephhd, really appreciate it. I'm still torn on officer vs enlisted though because the more I talk to people and read stuff I feel myself leaning more towards enlisted since I feel like 1. That's where things happen and even though officers give the orders it's the grunts who get things done and 2. This probably sounds defeatist but I'm not sure if I'm officer material.

But on the flip side as an officer I would probably/maybe be less likely to get **** on and really screwed over (Maybe? One of my oldest friends enlisted in the Marines as an 0311 out of high school and one deployment to Afghanistan and a couple years of Active later he has a pretty low opinion of officers) and would get paid more though that's not why I want to join so it's pretty moot. Do you (or anyone) know why it's so hard to go from reserves to active on the enlisted side? Any way around that other than going through the officers side or simply straight up enlisting active?

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StillThinking View Post
    Do you (or anyone) know why it's so hard to go from reserves to active on the enlisted side? Any way around that other than going through the officers side or simply straight up enlisting active?
    Reserves and Active Duty are two completely different entities of the Marine Corps, when you enlist in one you cant just decide "oh this isn't for me, I wanna be active(or reserve)". It's as simple as that. The Corps, whether active or reserve is what you make of it. Yes, opportunities to do things in the reserves are fewer and far between but if you are a good Marine there is no reason you can't do some of the same training you get to do on active duty.

One thing you won't learn about the Officers Corps until it happens because you never hear about it...being an officer does not mean you are less likely to get $hit on. The Officers Corps is VERY small, especially within the specific MOSs. Everyone knows each other at all the different commands and if you are a garbage officer they will know about it before you get there and your reputation is trashed from then on. On the enlisted side if you do something stupid you will just get reprimanded for it, yelled at, page 11 entry, maybe an NJP if it was real bad and you move on from it. On the officer side if you make a mistake, you get relieved of command. Word about something like this spreads like wildfire and your next duty station your new command will know about it and they will treat you like an outcast. There is no room for error as an officer. And rightfully so, you are leading and commanding the finest group of fighting men in the world.

Well that sucks. And I guess since they're two separate things then I couldn't even lay that out from the start by signing something that says I'll commit to x years of active after x amount of reserve years? If I wasn't so impatient to join I'd be more open to waiting until I graduated and enlisting if I hadn't made it in through OSO yet, but it's looking more and more like I'll be stuck with that.

wow though o.o yeah never heard that before. That doesn't discourage me, but either way still have thinking to do. I've been trying to set up a meeting with a recruiter that the gunny at my OSO recommended me to but when I talked to him yesterday he said he'd have one of his recruiters call or text me back later that day but nothing. I'd call back today but he said the office would be closed for the a Marine Corps Ball but by early next week I should be able to sit down with him. I'll probably still ask you for advice on this thread josephhd so long as you're cool with giving it, thanks for all the help you've already given though; haven't gotten straighter answers from anyone else yet.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    And I guess since they're two separate things then I couldn't even lay that out from the start by signing something that says I'll commit to x years of active after x amount of reserve years?
    No, you either sign a reserve contract and be a reservist or you go active duty...there is no "I'll do this and then go do that"

Yes, feel free. I have been through the PLC/OCS/commissioning process 3x times now. Once as a civilian college student and twice as a Marine reservist.

You need to be patient, if you're not you will jump into something sooner than you should and end up regretting the decision. I wish someone had told me the same... I would have been patient, gone active duty as an infantrymen or Recon like a few friends.

Yeah, figures. I'm still really tempted to join the reserves because I'm kind of impatient and it's something which is better than nothing; but my long game is definitely active so I guess it's just a little frustrating.

But wow, why did you go through it all 3x and be a reservist twice?

But yeah, as frustrating as it is if it comes down to it then I'll just have to wait it out. I'd rather suffer my eagerness for another few years than another eight with no real chance of fixing it

$hit or get off the pot. Spending all this time deciding on what you want to do. Why not sit down with the important people in your life and see which route fits what direction you are looking to take? Talk to your recruiter it is their job to help you decide which you want to do, and what options are even availabe to you.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    But wow, why did you go through it all 3x and be a reservist twice?
    The first package I did was as just a normal civilian college student. I had to drop out of school for financial purposes and when I quit school I got dropped from my PLC contract.

The second package I did was right after checked into my reserve unit, a deployment came up and I went on that instead of continuing with the package.

The third time was in 2012 after I came home from deployment and went back to school full time. My package went to board for selection but I chose to have them take me off as I had just picked up Cpl. and I enjoyed the enlisted side. Had no desire to be a commissioned officer any longer, still dont.

Thread Information