Bad Knees?
Create Post

Thread: Bad Knees?

Bad Knees?

Hey marines, as you can tell from my username I have bad knees. I'm a 20 year old male, 5' 11 250 pounds. I've been over weight since I was around 10 or 11. At my highest I was 300 lbs (My body held the weight well, all that weight gave me big calf muscles). A couple months ago I dropped from 285 to 220 lbs from diet alone. Gained 30 lbs recently from lack of motivation and life in general. I wasn't/am not your typical marine type, didn't play sports in school, played Xbox instead (Gave that up, still not physically active though). Regret that now. Anyway, I've dislocated my knee on four or five different occasions over the past 6 or 7 years. Got kicked in the knee, stretching in tight pants, stepping on someone's foot and twisting it the wrong way. Never had surgery and AFIK no major damage done. I don't think my weight is a main factor, just the way my body grew. I can flex my knees fine, they don't hurt when I walk or go up and down stairs or if I carry heavy loads. They'll click and sometimes I'll have little aches but it lasts seconds/minutes and no real pain.

I know you guys aren't certified physicians, but I thought I might ask here. I've been thinking of joining the USMC for about a year or two, but always hesitated for various reasons. Anyway, if I were to drop down to say 180 lbs, start a running regimen and strengthening exercises do you guys think I would be able to handle boot camp and military life in general? I get this is a vague question which is why I'm trying to add as much info as I can (sorry if its a long read). I haven't had any dislocations for about a year now, and every time they have dislocated they snapped right back in. Once I get insurance I plan on seeing a sports physician to get an evaluation. Any feedback would be really appreciated. Thank you and I hope to be on the field with ya'll one day.

Similar Threads:

Quote Originally Posted by badkneesmcgee94 View Post
    Hey marines, as you can tell from my username I have bad knees. I'm a 20 year old male, 5' 11 250 pounds. I've been over weight since I was around 10 or 11. At my highest I was 300 lbs (My body held the weight well, all that weight gave me big calf muscles). A couple months ago I dropped from 285 to 220 lbs from diet alone. Gained 30 lbs recently from lack of motivation and life in general. I wasn't/am not your typical marine type, didn't play sports in school, played Xbox instead (Gave that up, still not physically active though). Regret that now. Anyway, I've dislocated my knee on four or five different occasions over the past 6 or 7 years. Got kicked in the knee, stretching in tight pants, stepping on someone's foot and twisting it the wrong way. Never had surgery and AFIK no major damage done. I don't think my weight is a main factor, just the way my body grew. I can flex my knees fine, they don't hurt when I walk or go up and down stairs or if I carry heavy loads. They'll click and sometimes I'll have little aches but it lasts seconds/minutes and no real pain.

I know you guys aren't certified physicians, but I thought I might ask here. I've been thinking of joining the USMC for about a year or two, but always hesitated for various reasons. Anyway, if I were to drop down to say 180 lbs, start a running regimen and strengthening exercises do you guys think I would be able to handle boot camp and military life in general? I get this is a vague question which is why I'm trying to add as much info as I can (sorry if its a long read). I haven't had any dislocations for about a year now, and every time they have dislocated they snapped right back in. Once I get insurance I plan on seeing a sports physician to get an evaluation. Any feedback would be really appreciated. Thank you and I hope to be on the field with ya'll one day.
    If you want to join the USMC you might want to find some.

you will also have to lose weight your max weight is 187 so if you cant get down to at least that then this life isnt for you. Also remember this the Marine Corps does not care how much you can lift.. i will repeat that THE MARINE CORPS DOES NOT CARE HOW MUCH YOU CAN LIFT. They only care about how fast and how far you can run. I know you didnt mention lifting but running is the thing the Marine Corps cares about. So start now and lose your weight, go talk to your recruiter and get started now. Losing weight might even solve your knee problems.

Was starting to think no one would answer. I know without a doubt that I wouldn't have a problem dropping to 187, like I said I dropped about 75 pounds with diet alone within about 6 months. I didn't exercise or lift weights, was eating healthy food around 2,200 cals a day. Only worried because right now I can't even do more than one push up, if that. But I started my diet again today and plan on dropping this weight and joining a gym for strength. I want to see a physician or sports doctor before talking to a recruiter to make sure my knees are alright because I don't want to end up ****ing them up at boot or MEPS dqing me right off the bat. If they say I can do it, I don't see anything else stopping me. I hope other Marines on here can chime and and give me some advice. Thanks for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by MunkyVsRobot View Post
    If you want to join the USMC you might want to find some.

you will also have to lose weight your max weight is 187 so if you cant get down to at least that then this life isnt for you. Also remember this the Marine Corps does not care how much you can lift.. i will repeat that THE MARINE CORPS DOES NOT CARE HOW MUCH YOU CAN LIFT. They only care about how fast and how far you can run. I know you didnt mention lifting but running is the thing the Marine Corps cares about. So start now and lose your weight, go talk to your recruiter and get started now. Losing weight might even solve your knee problems.
    Was starting to think no one would answer. I know without a doubt that I wouldn't have a problem dropping to 187, like I said I dropped about 75 pounds with diet alone within about 6 months. I didn't exercise or lift weights, was eating healthy food around 2,200 cals a day. Only concerned about my knees and also because right now I can't even do more than one push up, if that. But I started my diet again today and plan on dropping this weight and joining a gym for strength. I want to see a physician or sports doctor before talking to a recruiter to make sure my knees are alright because I don't want to end up ****ing them up at boot or MEPS dqing me right off the bat. If they say I can do it, I don't see anything else stopping me. I hope other Marines on here can chime in and and give me some advice. Thanks for your reply.

Just gotta add that I have knee valgus, causing my knees to go inward. Don't know if this might cause a problem with joining.

Here's a reality check, best you see a sports doc and get an evaluation. From what you described, you are not in good physical shape. And having knee problems is a double wammy to DQ you. If you've followed recent military news, the Army found majority of recruits totally out of shape. Now, as I understand it, if you're not physically able to pass minimum physical requirement, you're eliminated. Now, the Marine Corps is going to be even more stringent in light of budget cuts. Chances going to be slim to none to step on the yellow footprints.

Quote Originally Posted by fl1946 View Post
    Here's a reality check, best you see a sports doc and get an evaluation. From what you described, you are not in good physical shape. And having knee problems is a double wammy to DQ you. If you've followed recent military news, the Army found majority of recruits totally out of shape. Now, as I understand it, if you're not physically able to pass minimum physical requirement, you're eliminated. Now, the Marine Corps is going to be even more stringent in light of budget cuts. Chances going to be slim to none to step on the yellow footprints.
    Appreciate your reply but I won't let it discourage me to try. I'll just see what the doc thinks.

Sorry for the misinformation, I don't have knee valgus (A.K.A knock knees). Just my knees going inward which I think can be corrected by certain exercises.

Credits
    Savings
    badkneesmcgee94

you sound like an honest kid.
    I'm OLD,
    I'm Cranky,
    and I'm pretty sure you are "Glamorizing"
    the thought of being a Marine.

Your lifestyle in the past seems to be much
    to Sedate to fit the form it takes to "Do the Job".

Just what do you think you do after you Earn the Title ?
    go back to the barracks *(Don't have them now ? )
    and eat bon-bons and pastries ?

Marine isn't just a title,
    IT's a LIFESTYLE for howmany years....

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Lose the weight....you are not doing your knees or you body any good. It may not completely take care of the problem but you will find that the stress on your knees and back will be less. Stay active.....get off the couch...do push ups and push backs.....from the table....even if you don't make it in the Marines your body and wallet will thank you! Quitting is not an option....
    I've been thinking of joining the USMC for about a year or two, but always hesitated for various reasons. Anyway, if I were to drop down to say 180 lbs.
    Quit thinking about it and do it! Self motivation is within...nobody here can help you motivate yourself! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by m14ed View Post
    badkneesmcgee94

you sound like an honest kid.
    I'm OLD,
    I'm Cranky,
    and I'm pretty sure you are "Glamorizing"
    the thought of being a Marine.

Your lifestyle in the past seems to be much
    to Sedate to fit the form it takes to "Do the Job".

Just what do you think you do after you Earn the Title ?
    go back to the barracks *(Don't have them now ? )
    and eat bon-bons and pastries ?

Marine isn't just a title,
    IT's a LIFESTYLE for howmany years....
    I'm sorry I guess it does seem that way but the reasons I want to join aren't superficial. Nobody ever thought I could do anything, I want to prove to myself that I can. I know the Marines isn't a walk in the park, but I crave the discipline and (might sound corny) but the brotherhood aspect of it. I don't sit on my couch all day stuffing my face, that was years ago. I plan on getting fit and being fit for the rest of my life. I'm gonna do what it takes and if I try my best and fail, at least I tried. Thank you for replying and for your service.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    Lose the weight....you are not doing your knees or you body any good. It may not completely take care of the problem but you will find that the stress on your knees and back will be less. Stay active.....get off the couch...do push ups and push backs.....from the table....even if you don't make it in the Marines your body and wallet will thank you! Quitting is not an option.... Quit thinking about it and do it! Self motivation is within...nobody here can help you motivate yourself! Good luck!
    Thanks for the motivation I'm already starting to lose this weight and as soon as the doc gives me the OK I'm going straight to a recruiter. I'll come back here and let you guys know what happens. Thanks again Marine.

Thread Information