Greetings...
Create Post

Thread: Greetings...

Greetings...

I wasn't sure where to post, so I thought I'd post here. My name is Dan. Firstly, my Uncle is a Marine (Parris Island 1972) and my brother is also a Marine (SD 1995). I joined the Navy (go ahead, que the jokes up now....) fresh out of HS in 2000 and rose to the rank of GM2 (SW) when I departed the service in 2004.

I drifted around for a bit doing next to nothing for a few years, then I decided to join the National Guard for a little bit of income and experience. Soon after, I hired into General Motors and have been here since and have since departed the Guard. However, while the money is great at GM, I feel as if I'm spinning my wheels. I'm 32 now, and in good shape and frame of mind, and I'm not married with no children.

I was considering joining the Corps if I could because I feel as if something in my life is missing, and I want to accomplish something very meaningful. I was curious as if I'd still be able to join.

Thank you for your time.

Edit: Additionally, as an E5, how would that affect my Marine Corps rank, should I make it? Thank you.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Active duty Army - 35
    Army Reserves - 35
    Army National Guard - 35
    Active duty Air Force - 27
    Air Force Reserve - 34
    Air National guard - 40
    Active duty Navy - 34
    Navy Reserves - 39
    *Active duty Marines - 28
    *Marine Corps Reserves - 29
    Active duty Coast Guard - 27
    Coast Guard Reserves - 39 You missed the age cutoff by 3-4 years respectfully. I doubt if you can do anything about it. You can see a recruiter...never hurts...but I would stick with GM...especially since I have stock in them.

The rank you had really means nothing to the Marine Corps, you would be starting over, but like Bloop says stick with GM, Good Luck, Semper Fidelis.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Prior service is allowed what is called a constructive age. The constructive age is your actual age minus your years of active service. You might be sitting on the bubble right now and if you are serious then get the ball rolling ASAP. As other have pointed out you would at best graduate boot camp as a PFC (E-2).

Thank you for the responses. I'm not so concerned about my rank as I am my eligibility. Quinbo, thank you for the tip I will speak to a recruiter ASAP. I'm well aware of how Marine boot camp will be and with my life experiences and state of mind, it shouldn't be a problem for me.

I just feel something is missing in my life, and I feel that doing something meaningful like this would be beneficial down the road for a variety of reasons. As far as my job at GM, yes it is a very good job as far as money goes. But it's not rewarding to me, if that makes any sense. I don't want to be a human robot until I retire, I want to do something with purpose. I feel that should I become a Marine, I'll be able to look back and say Hey, I really did that. I did it.

I'm going to speak to a recruiter, and continue getting mind and body prepared for the challenge ahead, should it come.

Credits
    Savings
    Something "missing" ?

http://shar.es/10rcnb

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Prior service is allowed what is called a constructive age. The constructive age is your actual age minus your years of active service. You might be sitting on the bubble right now and if you are serious then get the ball rolling ASAP. As other have pointed out you would at best graduate boot camp as a PFC (E-2).
    Correct me if I'm wrong.....but I was under the impression when they came out with constructive age it was for the initial branch of service initially entered.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong.....but I was under the impression when they came out with constructive age it was for the initial branch of service initially entered.
    Unless they've changed it in the last couple of years it can be used for any branch.
    I looked at going into the Guard two years ago. My actual age was 47 but my constructive age was 37 after 10 years in the Corps.

Man I hated the Guard. Only reason I went into that over the Naval Reserve was because I got to keep my rank. Another question...if I did join, would it be legal for me to wear my Navy ESWS pin?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The Marines are ok with most ribbons from another service but not so much with badges. Fairly short list and I'm uncertain if you could wear that one. Knee jerk response is no.

Talked the recruiter today, getting back with me tomorrow.

my recommendation, dont do it. you will be a 35-37 year old man in recruit training cause the process isnt a quick one and it isnt kind on your body, also with the amount of people they are trying to cut they may not even want to look at you because of all the new young blood lining up round the block. I also hear they arent taking a lot of prior svc or service transfers.

Thank you for the replies, Marines. They are deeply appreciated. I'll report back.

Last edited by Lisa 23; 11-10-14 at 09:36 AM. Reason: The Marines who replied back have EARNED the title. How about Marines, not fellas.

Thread Information