Civilian Regulations
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Civilian Regulations

So I got blasted by someone in a MCX for wearing a plain green t-shirt, that was apparently considered inappropriate. I checked MCO 1005 and it doesnt say that a green t isn't allowed.

Similar Threads:

Probably because it's considered PT gear if you're active duty.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    was it OD green?....like a skivvy shirt?.....if so then technically yes you were out of regs. same with plain white t's.

I got blasted by a Major at Camp Lejeune for wearing a plain white v-neck tee, khaki shorts, and flip flops to Subway on base when we were on our way leaving to Myrtle Beach

A couple of things that have gone by the wayside that should be brought back:

Duty NCO.
    Liberty Cards.
    Civilian Shirts with collars.

Duty NCO to check people out on liberty and check for proper civilian attire.
    If on base liberty and not in proper civilian attire there are plenty of other Marines who should take it upon themselves to remind people of proper civilian attire.

Old Marine, when I was down in 29 Palms visiting My Son, I questioned a SNCO I met in the PX and asked about the Dress code for civilian attire that I saw Marines wearing there. He just looked at Me for a minute then said '' Well I'm off Duty right now and that They should know better ''. I can remember a time when SNCO's and NCO's were 'ON DUTY ' at all times when it came to this subject. But then again when You don't have to stand in formation to get the WORD because it is TEXTED to You on Your phone Who cares anymore ?

Marines, is just Me or does it seem the World is forgetting the Little things in Life that use to matter or seem right ? Wife use to get so angry being called Mrs. Sgt. Cruz by My Marines when addressing Her. Saying '' I'm not in the Marines My Husband is'' .

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    A couple of things that have gone by the wayside that should be brought back:

Duty NCO.
    Liberty Cards.
    Civilian Shirts with collars.

Duty NCO to check people out on liberty and check for proper civilian attire.
    If on base liberty and not in proper civilian attire there are plenty of other Marines who should take it upon themselves to remind people of proper civilian attire.
    I wouldn't have a problem with this if it could actually be enforced and done consistently....and made very clear as to what constitutes "proper civilian attire". Yes, I know the collared shirt, tucked into slacks, with a belt, etc...but these standards were made when and around when Chucks were the only authorized liberty wear and the Corps/DoD wanted the Marines/Service members to resemble the uniform.

Well guess what?...Chucks aren't the only authorized libo attire anymore, in fact its frowned upon as to not draw attention to yourself out in town. This also isn't the 1950's anymore when it was socially acceptable to dress in slacks, collared shirt, loafers, etc.(to be honest I actually enjoy dressing like this albeit more casual though). I will go as far to say wearing "proper civilian attire" as described by the Corps is just as noticeable as wearing your uniform out in town theses days because it just isn't the norm.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    And while I am here.....

The Marines today are just as capable and disciplined when it comes to combat as they were in WWII or prior, I am not sure why some of you get so caught up on how things used to be when you were in thinking it was a better Corps. I

I would never let another Marine wear his skivvy shirt out in town or around base in civilian attire or any other piece of gear or uniform item for that matter. I would not let him(or her) wear anything that was unbecoming a Marine either. But to tell someone they have to wear a collared shirt, tucked in, with slacks, and a belt because if they don't they are making a garbage Marine and are undisciplined is just stupid. The world evolves, society evolves, the Corps evolves, most Marines from PFC- 4-Star Generals get this....some of you still dont.

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    And while I am here.....

The Marines today are just as capable and disciplined when it comes to combat as they were in WWII or prior, I am not sure why some of you get so caught up on how things used to be when you were in thinking it was a better Corps. I

I would never let another Marine wear his skivvy shirt out in town or around base in civilian attire or any other piece of gear or uniform item for that matter. I would not let him(or her) wear anything that was unbecoming a Marine either. But to tell someone they have to wear a collared shirt, tucked in, with slacks, and a belt because if they don't they are making a garbage Marine and are undisciplined is just stupid. The world evolves, society evolves, the Corps evolves, most Marines from PFC- 4-Star Generals get this....some of you still dont.
    I do not see in my post where anything thing was mentioned about combat these days. My post was about the Duty NCO checking civilian attire before Marines go into town on liberty. And yes, I do think the Corps was a better Corps when I was in and I am glad I am no longer on active duty.

By the way Marines used to be proud to wear there uniforms on liberty when they wanted to. It was not a requirement.

So, I guess you can
    unwad your panties now.

Quote Originally Posted by mexbearlll View Post
    Old Marine, when I was down in 29 Palms visiting My Son, I questioned a SNCO I met in the PX and asked about the Dress code for civilian attire that I saw Marines wearing there. He just looked at Me for a minute then said '' Well I'm off Duty right now and that They should know better ''. I can remember a time when SNCO's and NCO's were 'ON DUTY ' at all times when it came to this subject. But then again when You don't have to stand in formation to get the WORD because it is TEXTED to You on Your phone Who cares anymore ?
    When I first retired (soon to be 42 years ago) I had a job on MCRD, San Diego and spent 13 years at that job. It was amazing the transition that went on with the Corps. Some for the better and some for the worse. It appears that once things start going downhill it rubs off on a lot of people.

Christmas Eve of 67 I had duty over the holiday's and a friend and I went out to a bar for a drink. We were wearing civi's and we were alone in the bar except for three other Marines that I did not know. They were also in civi's and were sitting at a table talking.

After my friend and I had been there for about an hour the shore patrol came in, they looked at us, and then their attention went to the three other Marines. One of these Marines was wearing a ball cap. The shore patrol approached these other Marines and began questioning the Marine wearing the ball cap. After about a minute the shore patrol told the Marine in the ball cap that he was going with them to the brig for wearing inappropriate civilian attire, a cover indoors.

After the shore patrol left with the Marine we all talked about how ****ty that was, and we were also glad it wasn't us. Ohhhh, the memories. Sounds like it's different today.

Quote Originally Posted by advanced View Post
    Christmas Eve of 67 I had duty over the holiday's and a friend and I went out to a bar for a drink. We were wearing civi's and we were alone in the bar except for three other Marines that I did not know. They were also in civi's and were sitting at a table talking.

After my friend and I had been there for about an hour the shore patrol came in, they looked at us, and then their attention went to the three other Marines. One of these Marines was wearing a ball cap. The shore patrol approached these other Marines and began questioning the Marine wearing the ball cap. After about a minute the shore patrol told the Marine in the ball cap that he was going with them to the brig for wearing inappropriate civilian attire, a cover indoors.

After the shore patrol left with the Marine we all talked about how ****ty that was, and we were also glad it wasn't us. Ohhhh, the memories. Sounds like it's different today.
    As has been said many times, there are azz holes in every walk of life. I don't know for sure about these days, but the Navy probably does not have such an animal as Shore Patrol anymore.

Sounds to me like Marines on liberty these days have to dress so as not to draw attention to themselves and try to blend in with the 1st Civilian Division. Amazing.With the don't ask, don't tell no longer in efect some will have no problem.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I do not see in my post where anything thing was mentioned about combat these days. My post was about the Duty NCO checking civilian attire before Marines go into town on liberty. And yes, I do think the Corps was a better Corps when I was in and I am glad I am no longer on active duty.

By the way Marines used to be proud to wear there uniforms on liberty when they wanted to. It was not a requirement.

So, I guess you can
    unwad your panties now.
    You could never keep up with the caliber of some of the Marines we have now

And yes there was a time when uniform was required because civilian attire was not authorized, maybe not when you were in.

My panties are not in a wad at all, I just stick up for my Marines and myself...I am sure you wish they were in a wad though so I would take them off and you can sniff them after I throw them out

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    You could never keep up with the caliber of some of the Marines we have now

And yes there was a time when uniform was required because civilian attire was not authorized, maybe not when you were in.

My panties are not in a wad at all, I just stick up for my Marines and myself...I am sure you wish they were in a wad though so I would take them off and you can sniff them after I throw them out
    Son, not to get into a pizzing contest with you, but you would not have lasted 2 days in any of my recruit training platoons. With your present attitude you would have been in CCP platoon in no time. The only thing that might have saved you is that the Secretary of the Navy had strict orders that we could not drop any privates because they were needed in the NAM.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Son, not to get into a pizzing contest with you, but you would not have lasted 2 days in any of my recruit training platoons. With your present attitude you would have been in CCP platoon in no time. The only thing that might have saved you is that the Secretary of the Navy had strict orders that we could not drop any privates because they were needed in the NAM.
    I am not your son; you don't know me and what I am capable of so please don't tell me what I couldn't handle because of my attitude, which there isn't at all. See I do my research and am well educated on the Marines of the past from birth to present. You obviously don't care to know what Marines still do to this day because all you can do is trash your own heritage.

This isn't a pizzing match at all, this is me hitting black from the 500yard line and you wetting your depends. Had you come in here or any other thread that you make ignorant comments on with some reasoning behind your words and some researched facts behind that reasoning then I'd be willing to hear you and possibly agree.

Thread Information