Updated Information please?
Create Post

Updated Information please?

Hello Marines and thank you for your service.

I am looking into joining the Marine Corps Reserves. I tried to enlist active duty but I was told that I am too old. I am 29 years old. I am currently a SGT in the National Guard with nine years of service. I did some looking around online and saw that the Marine Corps Reserves may give me an age waiver since I would be prior service but the web site was several years old and if the corps is anything like the army then things change quickly and often. Does anyone here know what the current regs are for prior service trying to enlist in the reserves? I want to have my ducks in a row before I contact a recruiter and start the process of of conditional release from the guard etc. Your help will be appreciated and your advice valued.

Thank you for your time.

Similar Threads:

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Contact this member he is in the active reserves as a SGT and maybe able to point you in the right direction or give you some scoop.http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/me...?54187-josephd

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    As far as I am aware your National Guard time does not consider you "prior service", that term is reserved for Marines that have been in and on active duty before.

I think you may be too old at this point...

Honestly though do you really wanna join the Marine Reserves and start all over at your age?......you will be a 30-32 year old E-3/LCpl and get treated like a child similar to your 17-20 year old peers. Other than for retirement purposes you will lose all that time in service.

Why not keep your rank and stay in the National Guard?

Dang I thought prior service extended to time in any branch. Good to know. I'm aware I'd have to start completely over if I was able to get a contract. I made a few wrong turns in life and I'm working on trying to start over. Nothing illegal just bad personal and professional choices. Even though I will be giving up a good bit the possibility of building a new and better life would be worth it. Earning the Marine title would be a big step into that for some personal reasons. If I cannot make the attempt it will suck but I will just have to adjust my plans and start my clean slate elsewhere but I have to at least try ya know. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question so quickly Sergeant.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shane01 View Post
    Dang I thought prior service extended to time in any branch. Good to know. I'm aware I'd have to start completely over if I was able to get a contract. I made a few wrong turns in life and I'm working on trying to start over. Nothing illegal just bad personal and professional choices. Even though I will be giving up a good bit the possibility of building a new and better life would be worth it. Earning the Marine title would be a big step into that for some personal reasons. If I cannot make the attempt it will suck but I will just have to adjust my plans and start my clean slate elsewhere but I have to at least try ya know. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question so quickly Sergeant.
    don't quote me on that, you'd have to verify that with a recruiter. no problem man, don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions about the reserves

Just go to a recruiters office. Make sure that you are wearing some acceptable clothes, clean shaven and a haircut. There are waivers for everything. What will really help you now is if you can PT and be able to join a unit that has a critical billet or MOS that needs to be filled. Any idea of the units in your area. Where do you live?

I went to Bootcamp with a 29 year old who had an age waiver and I currently serve with a 29 year old Lcpl. Active duty for both. As far as I know if you are physically fit you shouldn't have a problem receiving an age waiver as long as it's the only waiver you need. However as was said, a recruiter would be the best point of contact on this issue.

I live in Starkville Mississippi. I was hoping to get a 03 series MOS. In the army I hold 11b (Light Infantryman) 19D (Cavalry Scout) and now 13f (forward observer) Out of these I have enjoyed my Infantry time the most. I am healthier than I have any right to be never a broken bone and only superficial scars.

and thanks to everyone who is giving me guidance

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shane01 View Post
    I live in Starkville Mississippi. I was hoping to get a 03 series MOS. In the army I hold 11b (Light Infantryman) 19D (Cavalry Scout) and now 13f (forward observer) Out of these I have enjoyed my Infantry time the most. I am healthier than I have any right to be never a broken bone and only superficial scars.
    In order to be infantry in the reserves there needs to be an infantry company local to you, in the Marine reserves you get contracted to whatever unit is closest and has available openings. You really don't get to pick whatever MOS you want

The closest reserve unit I could find was 4th Amphibous. I'm going to see a recruiter later this week. Probably going to have to be in my Detention Officer uniform but I keep that pressed boots shined etc. A few of the guys I deployed with served time in the Corps and they are excited about my interest in joining. They have been giving me good advice and I'm fairly optomistic about my chances. Ive started practicing for my IST pull ups are going to be my hardest part of it but I knocked out 92 crunches (very different from army situps) and I'm not sure what my 1 1 half time was but I did five miles in 43 minutes not bad for an older fella lol.

just be prepared to be turned away I believe you need to sign papers if not be at MCRD before you turn 30 not sure when your birthday is but the enlistment process isnt a short one.

Thread Information