Marrying another Marine
Create Post

Marrying another Marine

Hello All! I am stationed on the west coast and my girlfriend is on the east coast. We are thinking about getting married around May(also when I hit 1 year at my duty station). She just got to hers. I am supposed to deploy in Sept 2015. We were under the impression we both would be getting BAH and the money I made over deployment would go towards a wedding ceremony and expenses living together. I am seeing online that we wouldn't get BAH. Do I get BAH? Would we have to convince our commands to let us live off base to get the BAH? Should I just try to get orders to the east and not deploy? Can someone help me out and break down my options? Please and thank you in advance

Similar Threads:

PJones64
    Guest Free Member
    Maybe as a last resort, a VERY desperate last resort, you could speak with someone in your unit about this. It's been known to happen. Good luck.

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    no no no no Noone asks units these days, they ask strangers here. Better and more accurate info.

Maybe if there were more helpful NCOs I could

PJones64
    Guest Free Member
    Of course. Well, maybe people here can help. You could PM munkyvsrobot, and also josephd Those are two of the most knowledgeable and helpful people on here, but they are much more likely to look into the Ask A Marine section, so PM them and they'll help you for sure.

check into your Company HQ and ask for information their, personally I think you should try to get to the east cost and get thing settled their before going for deployment, and:
    when I was married to my late wife, (we both were in the Corps) we got off base housing and (she took care of all that stuff she was in HQ) but I found that HQ can be very helpful..

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    He can't. He said the NCOs are not helpful.

I've been out of the Corps for 45 years and married 4 times, maybe I can help.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by advanced View Post
    I've been out of the Corps for 45 years and married 4 times, maybe I can help.
    Russ, this isn't a thread about how to succeed in Marriage!

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Thank goodness, Billy

I apologize if I'm overstepping my bounds since I'm not a Marine, but I do provide financial counseling for Marines, and this is a question that comes up frequently.

If two Marines are married, stationed in separate locations, and have no other dependents, they are treated as single for BAH purposes. This means that you would each probably be assigned to the barracks and not receive BAH. You could each apply for permission to live in town and receive BAH without dependents, but it's up to your command as to whether they approve it. (You would also not receive FSA when you deploy.)

If one of you transfers so you're in the same location, you still have to apply for BAH w/o dependents, but these are routinely approved. If you then deploy, you would keep your BAH and receive FSA.

As others have said your chain of command should be able to answer these types of questions. If not, check with your S-1 or IPAC. The JTR Chapter 10 includes the regulations on BAH.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    There's no way you're overstepping bounds! In fact, you might want to check the Ask A Marine section re questions like this one, so you can help out there a bit. Thanks for posting...a lot of us have no idea about answers to questions like this.

Thread Information