Qualifications for becoming an officer
Create Post

Qualifications for becoming an officer

I have talked to a 20 year marine major, scoured the internet, as well as talked to my local recruiter and could not find a definite answer for this: How old must one be to be commissioned as a marine officer?

I am a senior in high school with 4 years of MCJROTC, I have acquired an associate's degree and hope to get my bachelor's around the age of 19. How ever I am enlisting on my 18th birthday as 0321 (active) I plan to finish my bachelor's on my off time while serving active. If I received my bachelors degree how would I become an officer at the age of 19 or 20? would I do it through ECP? or go straight to OCS?

PFT: 278
    ASVAB: 89

Similar Threads:

if you are enlisting as 03xx you will go ECP if you are dilligent enough to complete a bachelours degree while on active duty that also being after you have attained the rank of corporal.

Maybe your 20 year Major buddy didnt tell you they dont just hand you a commission it is earned through blood sweat and hard work at OCS and TBS, thats if you are lucky enough to even be selected to either of those programs.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    you can't be an officer at 19, you can go to OCS but cannot commission until you are at least 20. If you enlist you are setting yourself back at least 4 years as you would have to fulfill that contract before being eligible for a commissioning program.

just be aware that ECP is EXTREMELY selective and really wouldn't be eligible until your an NCO/SNCO...this would be into a 2nd enlistment at least.

Your best bet at commissioning is not enlisting, getting into college, get a PLC package started with your local OSO, and going to OCS as a college student.

Thread Information