Montel Williams....Vietnam vet....
Create Post

Montel Williams....Vietnam vet....

Out of pure curiosity.....

I've been hearing a lot that Montel is a "Vietnam vet" as late as 1975.

I've been trying to find out what unit he was in during Vietnam or any of his VN experience.
    All the google checking I did revealed nothing.

Anyone have any G2 on his Vietnam unit or in country activity?

Thanks....carry on....

Similar Threads:

Vietnam Era vet ...

Hey Brother Sgt Major....

Well....I've only heard "Vietnam vet" which is different than 'Vietnam era vet".
    I just heard him state on Greta Van Susteran "I'm a 'Vietnam veteran".
    Being as how he joined in '75 that quickly piqued my 'curiosity'

I guess that clears that up....belly up Brother.

Thanks....stay tough.

he enlisted in 1974

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    he enlisted in 1974
    Thanks for the correction.....I'm daft sometimes.

Checked your profile...my respect to your "Favorite Marine"....RIP Brother.

FoxtrotOscar
    Guest Free Member
    He is a "VIETNAM ERA VET" ONLY...

If I am not mistaken, the date of the ending of that era was May 1975...!!!

FoxtrotOscar
    Guest Free Member
    I went back and checked...

The "OFFICIAL" ending date is May 1975 of the Vietnam era...!!!

Montel Williams enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps upon graduating high school in 1974. He completed basic training at Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, South Carolina, where he was promoted to platoon guide. After basic training, he was sent to the Desert Warfare Training Center at Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center Twentynine Palms, near Palm Springs, California.
    His superiors at MCAGCC Twentynine Palms became impressed with his leadership skills, and he was recommended for, and accepted to, the Naval Academy Preparatory School (NAPS) at Naval Station Newport, Rhode Island. He completed the one-year NAPS course and was accepted to the U.S. Naval Academy, Class of 1980. When he arrived at Annapolis on July 6, 1976, he was honorably discharged as a corporal (E-4) from the Marines, and enlisted into the Navy as a midshipman. Williams graduated from Annapolis in 1980 with a degree in general engineering and a minor in international security affairs. Upon his graduation, he became the first African American enlisted Marine to complete and graduate both the Naval Academy Prep School and Annapolis.
    Commissioned as an ensign (O-1E) in the Restricted Line, he completed Naval Cryptologic Officer training. Williams spent the following year and a half in Guam as a cryptologic officer for naval intelligence, where he served at sea and ashore. In 1982, he was transferred to the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, California, where he studied the Russian language for one year.
    After three years aboard submarines, Williams, now a full lieutenant (O-3E), was made supervising cryptologic officer with the Naval Security Fleet Support Division atFort Meade, Maryland. It was while counseling his crew that he discovered a gift for public speaking. In 1988, he began conducting informal counseling for the wives and families of the servicemen in his command. He was later asked to speak to a local group of kids in Kansas City, Missouri, about the importance of leadership and how to overcome obstacles on the road to success—thus beginning a three-year career in motivational speaking.
    He left the Regular Navy with the rank of lieutenant commander (O-4) and his personal decorations include the Meritorious Service Medal, Navy Commendation Medal, and the Navy Achievement Medal. In addition, he reached out to thousands of parents, educators and business leaders, encouraging them to work together to address youth issues, trends and to inspire youngsters to reach their highest potential. These efforts to reach out to the community eventually led to his talk show, the “Montel Williams Show.”

Brother FoxtrotOscar....
    That is what I thought but was unsure.
    As I say, he did not use 'era' so I was curious..thanks for the details.

Brotherawbrown ....
    Yes..I had seen that write-up...pretty much verbatim on several sites.
    Thanks for chiming in.

Later....

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Good info

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Montel is a Vietnam ERA war veteran enter into his military service in 1974. Vietnam ended officially in 1975.

Quote Originally Posted by chulaivet1966 View Post
    Out of pure curiosity.....

I've been hearing a lot that Montel is a "Vietnam vet" as late as 1975.

I've been trying to find out what unit he was in during Vietnam or any of his VN experience.
    All the google checking I did revealed nothing.

Anyone have any G2 on his Vietnam unit or in country activity?

Thanks....carry on....

Montel Willians,Vietnam Era Vet. Semper Fidelis

Thread Information