Question regarding phones on first duty station - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Mighty long line, Ed....I actually remember telegrams via Western Union, but not used all that often in the 1960s anymore...you and I took a stagecoach to Parris Island, if you recall that bumpy ride. Trains and planes came into general use much later.

One of the big jokes back in the Nam was the "Singing Telegram" where the young Marine has just been killed and the govt sends out the message of his death. Upon delivery the parents are having a big party and they insist that the western union guy sing out the message. So the western union guy sings "Your son is dead, your son is dead."

Doesn't seem as funny today but it was a big hit back in the day. I guess it was one of the ways that we handled our deaths.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    you and I took a stagecoach to Parris Island, if you recall that bumpy ride.
    I am usually a history buff....it has to be fading...because I thought instead of the stage it was the pony express..........

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    When we burnt the shiatters we sent smoke signals...........

1979635_463020183800201_577266623_n.jpg

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    That Pony Express only lasted a year or so, Bloop.....stage was the way to go to staging, they used to say

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Lol

Kegler300, the tin cans are wireless now, get with the program

Thread Information