Question regarding phones on first duty station
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question regarding phones on first duty station

I am a PFC currently at my MOS school in Courthouse Bay, Camp Lejeune and I graduate in a couple months. Recently, the iPhone 6 came out and I was ecstatic about its release. I was about to spend money unnecessarily and purchase the phone but then something hit me.

I had requested Okinawa, Japan as my first duty station and in retrospect, purchasing a phone now might cause some complications in the near future.

So my question is for any Marine that is currently or has been stationed at Okinawa, or any other foreign country. If I purchase the phone here, what would happen if I get stationed at a foreign country? Would the phone still work? Because if I do buy the phone, I am going to get the two year phone contract with the provider so I do not want to buy a phone, get stationed overseas, and not be able to use my super expensive phone for the next two years.

I plan on buying a new phone sooner or later so my follow up question will be, should I buy a phone now or should I wait until I get to my duty station?

Similar Threads:

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Can you hear me now? I have Verizon....my service retailer told me if I plan on going out of the country come in and they can do something to make my phone work overseas....so you may want to check with your carrier. Or maybe active duty Marines can help you. Good luck!

You Can buy it, make sure you get it factory unlockeed so you can use it on any carrier. Any questions message me. I've lived all over. Good Luck

Credits
    Savings
    Most ---- carriers have international plans --$$$$$---
    Without a plan -- big money per minute.

Personal opinion--- if the Corps thought you neded it they would issue one !

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Outstanding answer Marine !!!

Hey there motivator. I got back from Oki about a year ago. The short answer is No. No your phone will not work if you go to Okinawa. To expand, there are two phone companies out there, what one you choose will depend entirely on what base you get to, so don't go out and grab one as soon as you get to the Island and you're in receiving. After you get to your unit ask around for the best or only service on base. On Hansen there is a Softbank shop in the PX. Here's a little advice from my days as a Lance, don't tell anybody that you got a new phone. It's a hotline for working parties. Unless you're into that sort of thing. Okinawa is still Old Corps in a sense, runners are used to collect Marines and you aren't expected (experience may vary based on command) to get a phone as a Jr. Marine. The price you pay is never being able to pull it out on standby, so it's your choice. However the stateside Marine Corps treats cellphones as a requirement. I was absolutely blown away when I received an ass chewing from a Ssgt out here because I didn't have a cell phone two weeks after my return to the US and he "couldn't get a hold of me". The times are changing

Achillies, nice to hear Okinawa is still old school, some what. I was on another site and found out My old unit no longer has Squad bays, 9TH ENG BULKFUEL Co. since 1990. Oh yes working parties on Oki how they made time fly by... My Son who is at 29 palms ,says they get a call to get the 'WORD' now a days.?

Credits
    Savings
    Tellaphones ???
    CELLAPhones......

Just think , us old guys used to complain
    about the long lines in front of the pay phones
    after payday,'s

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    I don't think you're going back far enough, Ed. You and I waited outside the telegraph office.

Now that's Old Corps

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    When we burnt the shiatters we sent smoke signals...........

I've heard you still burn your shiatters you cheap basttard.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    I've heard you still burn your shiatters you cheap basttard.
    I got a new plan for traveling....a 5 gal bucket..........

Quote Originally Posted by mexbearlll View Post
    Achillies, nice to hear Okinawa is still old school, some what. I was on another site and found out My old unit no longer has Squad bays, 9TH ENG BULKFUEL Co. since 1990. Oh yes working parties on Oki how they made time fly by... My Son who is at 29 palms ,says they get a call to get the 'WORD' now a days.?
    That's true about the Squad Bays, I was in 9th ESB also and we shared a barracks with the Bulk Fuel guys! My favorite had to be the post-typhoon ones. Your Son is dead on Sgt, sometimes we just get a text for word. I never thought I'd say this but sometimes I miss the 3-6 formations a day for word to be passed.

Credits
    Savings
    These kids , Might believe we
    were second in line to try for an operator,
    When Bell hung up with Watson....

*The line down @ WesternUnion, wasn't
    ever that short either was it Dave ?

Thread Information