Officer Questions
Create Post

Officer Questions

Hello Marines,

Before I get to the question, I'll tell you all a little about myself. I am a 19 year old male. I just started my sophomore year at a university. In high school I considered enlisting in the USMC, but never followed through or even spoke with a recruiter. I don't think I was ready for such a big commitment.
    I considered dropping out of college to enlist, but over summer I realized that would be a bad decision since I'm already in school. I also got a promotion at work over summer and am in a very good position for another promotion once my boss graduates. So enlisting right now is out.

Since I still feel like I may want to serve, I'm considering trying to become a Marine Officer. Now onto my questions.

1. I feel like becoming an officer is more of a career choice than enlisting is. As of right now, I don't want it to be my career. How long do you typically serve as an Officer? I've tried to look it up and found anywhere from a 4 year contract to whenever you want to resign.

2. I'm only a sophomore so I still have time to decide, but I've looked it up and found 2 ways of becoming an officer: OCC and PLC. Which is generally considered the "better" option? I know PLC can be taken in two 6 week course or one 10 week course. I'd rather do the 10 week one and get it all over with at once. But which is better: OCC or PLC?

3: What would be the best time to start talking to an OSO? Since I'm a sophomore and wouldn't go to training until either before senior year or after graduation, how soon before those times should I start meeting with an OSO? So if I wanted to go in the summer with PLC, should I talk to OSO in spring? winter? Fall?

Sorry for the really long post. Thank you for any answers and/or help you can give me.

Similar Threads:

Officers I believe have 6 year active contracts not 4 for initial term, then after that 6 i believe it is almost like a regular job. Could be wrong a bout the 2nd half but the first have i believe is spot on.

Cant talk about PLC cause I havent been

And no better time than the present to talk to an OSO if you are at least thinking about it knowledge is power.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    1. your obligation to the Corps will depend completely on if you take any sort of tuition assistance

2.PLC, PLC, and PLC!.....PLC can guarantee you a ground, air, or law contract. OCC is for individuals that have already graduated college and is MUCH more selective.

3. you need to talk with an OSO ASAP...like NOW...YESTERDAY. unless things have changed, typically selection board for OCS/PLC meets in October. So you already missed your chance this year pretty much to go to OCS this next summer 2015. you would have to do a package for board that meets next year. Get on his radar and get a package going so you can get on the 10-week combined PLC in 2016. Getting a package started is a long process, it's not like enlisting where you just talk with a recruiter and get contracted.

Thanks for the advice. josephd, if I don't take any tuition assistance, how long is an officer's contract?

So if I talk with an OSO now, I can poentially get accepted for the 10 week summer 2016 PLC. Normally I'd get my degree a year later (start of summer 2017) an be offered a commission then, correct? But what if I end up needing more time to graduate? Like an extra semester or two to finish school? Would I still be offered a commission once I had my degree?

I may have to wait a while before seeing an OSO. I got in a car accident last night just a couple hours after I posted this. Need to deal with getting that all figured out.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JWR View Post
    Thanks for the advice. josephd, if I don't take any tuition assistance, how long is an officer's contract?

So if I talk with an OSO now, I can poentially get accepted for the 10 week summer 2016 PLC. Normally I'd get my degree a year later (start of summer 2017) an be offered a commission then, correct? But what if I end up needing more time to graduate? Like an extra semester or two to finish school? Would I still be offered a commission once I had my degree?
    yes, i believe you'd be too late for board to be able to make it to OCS next year. You would be good for 2016 though...if you get selected that is.

And yes as long as you graduate OCS and then graduate from college you will be offered a commission. I good friend of mine took a complete extra year of school and was still offered his commission. I am sure there is a time limit at some point where they may deny you a commission or make you go back to OCS again but I am sure if its within a year or so you'd be fine.

It has been a few years since I have dealt with alot of this PLC package stuff though so it may be different as things are always changing. Many of these questions are best for your OSO to answer. You need to get in touch with him and get on his radar as fast as possible

Thread Information