Going enlisted to Officer
Create Post

Going enlisted to Officer

So, to start this off I'm a PFC with just a firewatch ribbon, grey belt (though in a green belt course atm, hoping to get Brown Belt in the next couple of months); and a Field Wireman. I was told if I attend college I could get an Officer Contract through PLC. My PFT score is 275 and my CFT score is 284. Runtime for PFT is 20:24 and my CFT runtime is 2:05. I do 18 pullups and go over the max on crunches with 180.I'm interested in going Officer, a while ago I was handed a book on Marine Corps Aviation, and I've grown really interested in flying a Super Cobra. I also heard there's a high demand for Pilots, and wanted to know my chances of becoming a pilot if I managed to earn my commission? I know Officers get top 3 and I'm assuming like getting your first duty station, the admin Marines who pick your MOS probably don't give a **** about your top three. I was also worried that because my training in Comm, that I'd get picked to be a Comm Officer, which would suck because I've learned that I dislike Comm. Hoping some Senior Marines and Officers could weigh in, tell me they're experiences with this.

Similar Threads:

Application & Qualifications

PLC Aviation

To qualify, you must be no more than 28 years old when commissioned. You must pass the Navy/Marine Corps Aviation Selection Test Battery (ASTB), be medically qualified for flight training and meet minimum vision requirements.
    From the Marine Corps PLC website

https://www.marines.com/becoming-a-m...-leaders-class

As for your MOS that is determined by needs of the Marine Corps prior MOS doesnt designate anything. One of my buddies who i went to my MOS school with was an 0261 GeoInt with a TS/SCI did MECEP and is now a logistics officer.

Now being that you are already enlisted i am not sure if you can do PLC that youd have to talk to an OSO about but if you cannot the other way is MECEP

https://www.marines.com/becoming-a-m...-officer/mecep

Marine Corps Enlisted Commissioning Educational Program (MECEP)

One of the most common programs Enlisted Marines use to transition from enlisted to officer is the Marine Corps Enlisted Commissioning Education Program (MECEP). MECEP offers qualified Marines the chance to go to a four-year college full-time, while maintaining active duty status and pay. MECEP is open to all active duty Marines and Marines in the Active Reserve (AR) program who meet the eligibility requirements. Selection is based on an individual's potential for commissioned service as demonstrated by their service record, previous academic record, and evidence of career and academic self-improvement.
    • MECEP is for exceptional Marines who have not yet completed their bachelor's degree
    • Selected marines will attend a 10-week Officer Candidates School (OCS) course and upon completing will attend a university or college offering an NROTC program
    • Upon completion of their degree, they will be commissioned as second lieutenants
    Basic eligibility requirements

• U.S. citizen or naturalized
    • Corporal or above
    • At least 21 years of age but less than 30 years of age at time of commissioning
    • 1000 SAT score (math and critical writing only)
    • 22 ACT composite score
    • 74 AFQT combined score
    • 12 minimum college credits with the following breakdown
      • 3 math or science
      • 3 english
      • 6 any elective
    • College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART) credits and credits earned in high school do not count towards this requirement
    • Minimum 225 PFT/270 CFT score
    • Minimum three years active service
    • No previous failure of any officer program
    • Be of good moral character and integrity
    • AR Marines must be approved for augmentation into the regular Marine Corps
    Requirements are not waiverable except for ages up to 35
    So inorder to go to MECEP you would need to be an NCO before you would be able to attend.

My thread "Recruit Dad Here" tells the story of my son who is now in Pensacola for flight school. He was Reserve, so his journey would be different; but I am sure there is a path for you, if you will work it. Good luck.

Seeing how You just gotten in, why not give Your Mos a chance, You can still go to College . But being depressed at Your job everyday is not going to help You! While Your trying to figure Yourself out...

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    this thread is 6-months old

I'm also considering the MECEP route. I've been interested in it before I even went to Parris Island. I am also a Comm Marine. (Radio Operator, MUXTER, Satcomm Operator) My Company Commander is actually a 'MECEPER' and I plan on talking to him before I make any big moves. I think that if you are eligible, you should create a package and see what your chain of command says about it. It seems the pros out-weigh the cons when it comes to commissioning especially after already having been enlisted. It's been a while since this thread was created...do we know if the requirements have been changed or updated for MECEP?

'Going Mustang'

Any Mustangs out there? Looking for advice on the commissioning programs and what it's like transitioning.

Listen dude the link is still valid you could click the link and find out for yourself. If you are asking dumb questions like this you are going to make a terrible officer. Your seniors are going to eat you up and spit you out. Hell based on those questions your lance corporals are going to eat you up and spit you out. Do your job and do diligence and figure this out.

Thread Information