Questions about becoming an infantry officer
Create Post

Questions about becoming an infantry officer

Hey everybody, first let me start off by saying thank you for your service to our country! My name is Josh and I am currently attending college for a Bachelors Degree. Anyways, I recently spoke with my local OSO and have seriously considered joining the USMC. The only problem is that in the past my grades have been sub-par (approximately 2.8 GPA) and I am not in great physical shape ( I can score a 225 PFT but not the high PFT they encourage for OCS). Currently I am working on improving my grades as much as possible as well as getting into better shape so that I can improve my PFT. I really want to become an infantry officer but due to poor grades and low PFT i have decided to put off applying for the PLC program until my application would look more favorable. Speaking with my OSO, she explained that Infantry is the cream of the crop of the Corps, which I understand, and that pretty much the best of the best officers get appointed to Infantry after TBS. Seeing as I want to have the best chance possible of achieving my goal of becoming an Infantry Officer, I was wandering if I were to enlist after college and go into infantry, then try to make the transition to officer, would i have a higher chance of being assigned to an infantry unit after completion of OCS, TBS, and other necessary training? seeing as I would have come from infantry initially? Any help is much appreciated!

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    No, No, and No...

First I will start off by saying that if you aren't running a perfect 300 PFT you really have no shot at infantry/IOC out of TBS. You really have no shot at even commissioning unless you are running a 275+ PFT.

Second, commissioning from the enlisted ranks through ECP(enlisted commissioning program) is even more selective that getting into IOC as a brand new 2nd Lt. Even if you did get an ECP selection you would still have to go through all the same training and qualifications that new candidates(not prior enlisted) have to go through. Enlisting in the infantry gives you no leg up on becoming a Marine Infantry Officer.

I will finish by telling you what I tell all the other wannabes that come on here asking similar questions....Enlisting IS NOT a stepping stone to becoming an officer. Stick with school, get in stellar shape, stay out of trouble, and get a PLC package going. It is the easiest and quickest way to becoming an officer. Becoming an infantry officer beyond that is based on how stellar of shape you are in and if you possess the necessary leadership characteristics...which isn't your call to make.

Ok, thanks for the help!

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Good advice from Joe, as always----there is a very common question here in this section, and that is: How can I be a Marine officer if I haven't yet been an enlisted Marine?? It's ever phrased that way, but it is here, constantly. People don't realize that you need not have any experience leading Marines, they teach you the fine art of doing that, and put your innate talents to work doing that. It is a very common misconception that you should be enlisted first......People feel uncomfortable leading without having had any experience leading. So it comes up here quite a bit.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC2571 View Post
    Good advice from Joe, as always----there is a very common question here in this section, and that is: How can I be a Marine officer if I haven't yet been an enlisted Marine?? It's ever phrased that way, but it is here, constantly. People don't realize that you need not have any experience leading Marines, they teach you the fine art of doing that, and put your innate talents to work doing that. It is a very common misconception that you should be enlisted first......People feel uncomfortable leading without having had any experience leading. So it comes up here quite a bit.
    ^this^

Leadership is something that cannot be taught, not didactically anyway, IMO. It is a capability you have or don't have. Spending a few years as an enlisted Marine is not going to teach you what you need to know to lead a platoon or company of Marines into combat. It will teach you a skill set on how to be a good Marine and do your job well but not what it takes to handle being in charge of 30+ Marines and their lives.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Exactly.

I agree 100% that leadership is something you can't teach somebody and while I am completely confident in my abilities, I was simply asking if enlisting would help my chances of becoming an infantry officer later on, I was not sure of how the process of being assigned a MOS was for officers that transferred from enlisted. I know that for those that commission from college get to choose 5 potential choices at TBS and even then there are no guarantees and I was simply not sure if being enlisted or prior enlisted would be any different in the assignment process.

The only way to become an Infantry Officer as stated previously is to be the best of the best a good 17% - 25% of the officers that try out for Infantry Officer dont make it.

Stay in school and get in shape, unless your work load is unbearable youve got enough time to get in shape.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JBlake118 View Post
    I agree 100% that leadership is something you can't teach somebody and while I am completely confident in my abilities, I was simply asking if enlisting would help my chances of becoming an infantry officer later on, I was not sure of how the process of being assigned a MOS was for officers that transferred from enlisted. I know that for those that commission from college get to choose 5 potential choices at TBS and even then there are no guarantees and I was simply not sure if being enlisted or prior enlisted would be any different in the assignment process.
    simple answer is No

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    Best thing to do is to phrase questions exactly how you want them replied to, otherwise there is too much info. Good luck to you.

Thread Information