Semper Fi letter salutation for a recruit
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Semper Fi letter salutation for a recruit

Is it appropriate to use Semper Fi as a salutation in a letter to a recruit?
    I don't remember.
    Thanks
    Huey

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    I'd say IF you are using it as a "Closing" salutation.

Why not ?

You're the Marine, not him.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    I've heard that, strictly speaking, it is from Marine to Marine only. But Ed is right, too. I don't even know how the unwritten rules of etiquette about that ever came about........seems fine to me.

FoxtrotOscar
    Guest Free Member
    Technically, there is no specific rule as to when or where or when it's used...

Over the years it was used as Marine slang during WWII in the short form of sarcasm..

Over time it has taken on a different form of a "Marine" only greeting...

Opinions vary, use it as your discretion, after all it is Latin to begin with...

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    A few years back....I and others wrote motivational letters to recruits...now Marines in boot camp on both sides of the map. I always used Semper Fi in the body as motivational emphasis and as the salutation to close my letters. The now Marines I wrote were given that extra boost.....to get the job done with a Semper Fi Heart. To reiterate what Foxtrot Oscar said Semper Fidelis has a long history other than just with the US Marine Corps. Semper Fi!

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Last two posts are outstanding.

I heard that all mail for recruits is now email or text only. Can anyone confirm?

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    No more letters?

FoxtrotOscar
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by devilbones2 View Post
    I heard that all mail for recruits is now email or text only. Can anyone confirm?
    I believe this is scuttlebutt/rumor control, until I see something concrete...!!!

We received a mailing address for my cousin currently first phase at PI.
    I've written a letter nearly every day for two weeks now and none have been returned.
    I'll post if they are returned.
    Huey

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    How can it be text and email if a recruit has no access to computers or cellphones while in training from receiving to graduation? And are told to leave cell phones at home prior to shipping.

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    What else has been "heard"? That the DIs are going to drill you giving commands that you can only hear on an ipad that they will issue you?

We were only given hand signals. Times have changed.

FoxtrotOscar
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by advanced View Post
    I saw that movie "Advanced".. Mose's was giving Hand & Arm signals for crossing of the Red Sea.. I wasn't aware you were there... Awesome...!!! HaHaHa....

ddroflv.gif

Quote Originally Posted by advanced View Post
    Arm & Hand Signals.

Thread Information