Is this active duty Marine looking for trouble ?
Create Post

Is this active duty Marine looking for trouble ?

I'm not all that firmiliar with the law..but this just does not sound right. I don't want to confront him about it until I know the facts.

This kid who was in the Corps when I left (prob still has 2 years on contract) updated his profile picture last month of him wearing a black t-shirt with an UPSIDE DOWN US FLAG as the design . He's active duty and station in Lejeune...

I know there's freedom of speech and I'm aware that an upside US flag means a sign of dire emergency, but I've seen this shirt worn quite often and these people are "anti-establishment" / "anti-government" type people.

Similar Threads:

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    b. Clothing with printing, insignia or pictures that are sexually or violently offensive or are obscene or suggestive in nature, that promote illegal activities, that depict derogatory social, religious, racial, or ethnic messages, or that present an impression contrary to the good order and discipline of the armed forces, the Marine Corps, and/or MCB Camp Lejeune is prohibited.
    This is just CLNC Base Order...but I would imagine that type of shirt as an active duty Marine is a no go.....Although I do agree this country has gone to hell....and active duty Marine also is to be in proper civilian attire on or off any installation. And should not be voicing that opine in his wearing of civilian clothes.

He should have his azz handed to him, Semper Fidelis.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC Sokol View Post

This kid who was in the Corps when I left
    (( (prob still has 2 years on contract) ))
    updated his profile picture last month ,
    him wearing a black t-shirt with an
    UPSIDE DOWN US FLAG as the design .
    He's active duty and station in Lejeune...

I know there's freedom of speech
    and aware that an upside US flag means a sign of dire emergency,
    but I've seen this shirt worn quite often and these people are "anti-establishment" / "anti-government" type people.
    He will probibly turn it "RightSide-Up"
    when Obama gets out of office...

"One can always hope"

Used to be that liberty shirt had to have a collar and when getting your liberty card from the Duty NCO, if he thought you were not squared away you did not get the card. Grooming standards should be adhered to.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    This is just CLNC Base Order...but I would imagine that type of shirt as an active duty Marine is a no go.....Although I do agree this country has gone to hell....and active duty Marine also is to be in proper civilian attire on or off any installation. And should not be voicing that opine in his wearing of civilian clothes.

Thanks. I'll pass this on

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    This is one of those things that while technically isn't authorized and is against "good order and discipline", unless someone wants to make a fuss over it...it's not gonna be corrected.

My $.02....unless he is making a point to wear it for an "anti-government" purpose and running his mouth about it(BIG NO NO!), let him wear it....it's just a t-shirt.

If you are gonna correct him on it, make sure you go about it the right way..do it as a normal person and man to man convo, explain the meaning and why he shouldn't be wearing it...especially on or around base. From there if he doesn't listen to you then get in his a$$ and document it

I sent him a message about 5 hours ago.

All I sent was "Whats up with your profile picture? You do know you're active duty right ?"

Hoping he'd respond so I could warn him about the order. I also found a news article where some SFC in the Army almost got NJP'd for the same thing, except he flew an upside down flag outside his private home.

He read it 2 hours ago, but no response.

Just updated his profile picture 20 minutes ago

US Flag Code Title 4 Chapter 1 says it is flown upside down only as a signal of immediate distress or danger. Technically that would make it illegal, but the 1st Amendment right of freedom of speech may apply. (Because it is a code, it has the affect of law just as the government uses the IRS codes to fine you if you do not pay your taxes)

If the government wanted, they could make one of the episodes into a test case; on the other hand, how many times does this happen and is it worth the time and effort to prosecute?

Thread Information