The Yellow Footprints
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member

The Yellow Footprints

Does anyone know approximately when these came into being at Parris Island? I don't remember them at all as being there in 1963, and if they were, they were only at the then current Receiving Barracks, over by the main mess hall.

(Receiving Barracks are now located elsewhere).

It's not because of shock that I don't recall them being there. I remember plenty of other details from that Trick or Treat Halloween Night in 1963.

Similar Threads:

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    There's another thread Question: Yellow Footprints? that is 12 years old, has just a few responses, but none from people who are viewing this now....they said, back on that thread, that they did NOT recall any yellow footprints from 1952, 1964, etc, so that gives me a little info and makes me feel that it's not my memory heading South.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC2571 View Post
    There's another thread Question: Yellow Footprints? that is 12 years old, has just a few responses, but none from people who are viewing this now....they said, back on that thread, that they did NOT recall any yellow footprints from 1952, 1964, etc, so that gives me a little info and makes me feel that it's not my memory heading South.
    No footprints when I arrived at MCRD, SD in 1953. Don't know about Pleasure Island.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    If it wasn't you, Willie, I would have said something about San Diego having pink footprints, but no way would I get into that here, so I won't say it, knowing the extreme PI-SD rivalry.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC2571 View Post
    If it wasn't you, Willie, I would have said something about San Diego having pink footprints, but no way would I get into that here, so I won't say it, knowing the extreme PI-SD rivalry.
    Tell me again where the WM's receive their boot camp. LOL

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    hahahaha....I give up, Willie....

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I believe those yellow footprints began in 1941 due to the influx of troops preparing for WWII, after the ending of WWII and Korean wars those yellow footprints became a main stay for the Marine corps training psychology and remand ever since. The PI Receiving build has changes since 1915 today even though the build locations had changed to receive new boots those yellow footprints always followed.

I believe they started around 1964.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Thanks--that accounts for me, and several others on the other thread, not remembering them but remembering other details that were more minor.

I believe they started around 1964. This is from The Marine Corps Heritage Foundation.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    They would certainly know---thanks again, much appreciated.

Nineteen sixty four is pretty close. I used google and that seems to be the year most mentioned. There is a book called The Yellow Footprints by Greg Stoner who is the secretary of the West Coast D.I. Association. I have a copy around here someplace but can't locate it.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Thanks Willie, no wonder I don't remember seeing them.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I sent out email to the PI Historical Society to find out the year those footprints were started to be used.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Thanks---keep us posted, please.

Thread Information