blousing of boots
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

blousing of boots

I went to boot camp 34 years ago. If I remember correctly we did not blouse our boots right away. I believe not until the end of 1st phase.
    When do recruits begin blousing boots nowadays?
    Thanks
    Huey

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    After initial drill/end of first phase, same. unless things have changed in 6 years since I went to boot.

Thanks josephd.
    I hadn't kept current on what goes in boot camp since I graduated.
    Now with a family member in Basic I'm seeing how much it has really changed.
    I think todays Marines are more prepaired for combat at graduation than my generation.
    Semper Fi

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Thers nothing " Basic " about Marine Corps Boot Camp. You should know that Marine.

How did this thread already go from blousing to combat ?

Used to be up to the Drill Instructor as to blouse or unblouse. Its probably PC these days to blouse at 1800 hours on Initial Drill Day.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    I remember that in late 1963 we did not DESERVE the great honor it would have been to be able to blouse our boots. We earned that "right", and a couple of weeks into boot camp, we were allowed to, and you would have thought we had all been promoted to Corporal. LOL

During 2nd Phase, we fugged up on something and the DIs made us un-blouse our boots and wrap the boot bands around the Guide On. The Guide looked like he was carrying a corn dog ...

Screw up on Final Drill and there was a burial ceremony for the Platoon Guideon and all Pvts got to water it down.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    They sure had ways to make you want to improve.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UH1N View Post
    Thanks josephd.
    I think todays Marines are more prepaired for combat at graduation than my generation.
    I would have to disagree, other than glorified war stories from the DIs, history lessons on MOH recipients, and the like for indoctrination purposes there was nothing about boot camp that really prepared me for a combat deployment other than the general discipline of being a Marine.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Interesting, Joe.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC2571 View Post
    Interesting, Joe.
    I didn't intend on that sounding as negative as it did, boot camp has its purpose to instill discipline, indoctrinate in love of Corps and Country, teach the nuances of the Corps. Boot camp has its purpose but to say Marines are coming out of boot camp more prepared for combat now than before isn't based on anything.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I have some junior Marines that in no way would I want to take them into a combat zone

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    I didn't intend on that sounding as negative as it did, boot camp has its purpose to instill discipline, indoctrinate in love of Corps and Country, teach the nuances of the Corps. Boot camp has its purpose but to say Marines are coming out of boot camp more prepared for combat now than before isn't based on anything.
    No problem josephd. I didn't think it negative.
    I was just expressing my oppinion. I didn't say a Marine fresh from boot camp didn't need more training.
    My opinion was based on something. It was based on what I've been reading about modern day bootcamp and the current recruit training schedule.
    I graduated MCRD San Diego in 1980 and was airwing. I don't remember doing some of the fieldwork I've seen in video clips of current boot. Maybe the video was just all recruiting hype.
    I never had to attend any type of infantry training at all.
    Once I graduated, other than annual requal and NCO school, I never touched a weapon again.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    I didn't think Joe's comment was negative, at all----I was thinking that MCRD is, in part, naturally, supposed to be geared to prepare folks for combat, but that's not its only function. Discipline is as important as combat preparedness. How can you completely prepare someone for combat until they get INTO combat? Hard to do.

Thread Information