ASVAB Scores & MOS (Poolee directed) - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
    firstsgtmike
    Guest Free Member
    To Jennifer, and all the rest of you guys (and girls).

Boot camp is a b**ch. Whether you're in for 2 or 30, it still pains the same.

However, when you amortize it over twenty years, it's not so bad.

It' s like buying a car for $20,000. If you keep it for 2 years before you total it, with no insurance, it cost you $10,000 a year.

If you kept it for 20 years, it only cost you $1,000 per year.

I'm a cheap SOB, I wanted my money's worth, and I got it.

Best of everything to all of you.

Mike Farrell
    Cagayan de Oro
    Philippines

ASVAB

I've posted some more stuff on the Poolee forum about the test itself.

A cheap sob, huh! LOL. That's a good way to look at it First Sergeant!

Listen up boys and girls! You'll live in fear and awe of a First Segeant one of these days! This one is a wise Man...for a First Sergeant that is!

Wow ... it's great to see the plans of others. I thought for a long time I was alone in my thinking ... felt kinda lonely for a while.

My plans are:
    Graduate HS with the class of 2004 and then I'm off to NROTC. I'd like to go to George Washington U or U of South Florida. After 10 years active and 15 reserves (arbitrary numbers, but I know I want a military career. I'm not sure how long exactly) it'll be time to move on to politics. It looks like it'll be a race between me and RobertH to see who's the first Marine to become President.

Good luck, poolees (and normal, regular civilians like me that aren't there yet, but will be) and thank you, Marines for your guidance.

Jess

Registered User Free Member samiegirl's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I scored a 64 on my first try at the ASVAB, then after i got discharged from the DEP program to retake the ASVAB, i scored a 84, had to go back to MEPS the next day to take a confirmation test ( make sure i was the same person who took the test) scored the same. I ship out for Parris Island on March 24, with the MOS of Avionics, hopefully i can leave sooner....

But as for a note for all ya'lls who want to go intell. from what i've gathered and the previous 6 times i've been at MEPS, the intell field got downsized, so it might be a bit of a challenge to get into the field...not trying to discourage anybody, but just a heads up.

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    i got a 55 on my asvab (not the highest) but im going 03 infantry and my date to leave is jan 13 2003...... cant wait to fire the first shot out of my m-16

Credits
    Savings
    I scored 93 on the ASVAB, going infantry.

I haven't taken the ASVAB yet. I'm homeschooled, and our district refuses to let me take it with them. My Recruiter can't take me down to a local National Guard unit where they administer the ASVAB until I'm a senior (that will be next year.)

I'd like to become an officer of Marines someday. I doubt I'll get accepted to USNA or get an NROTC scholarship, but I'm applying for both anyway. I would absolutely love to attend VMI, but with out of state tuition, there's almost no way that I can. But we'll see what kind of scholarships I get yet.

Right now, I'm a cadet in the United States Air Force Auxiliary (the Civil Air Patrol). In the Cadet Program, I'm learning a ton about leadership. Another option I'm looking at is enlisting in the Reserves and attending a junior college around my current AO. That way, I can get just a little enlisted experience and some more leadership training through the Civil Air Patrol as I get my degree. Then hopefully I'll get accepted for OCS and go AD from there.

I'm looking at either MP or Comm for my Reserves MOS, and if I get accepted to OCS, I'm not sure what kind of contract I'd want. Probably ground.

MOSs make for too many decisions. I just want to be a Marine!

Registered User Free Member leroy8541's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    DEP good luck on the plans i am guessing you know that you can't enlist for scout sniper or recon or 8th and I, those jobs are for the chosin few. But you are heading in the right direction with the 03 field. I can give you a few tips on getting what you want but if you don't qualify you may want to try somthing else. 20/20 vision is a must no corrective lenses what so ever are allowed and you will have to qualify 2x expert w/ an M-16 a2 just to be considered for a tryout. Remember this also being an expert rifleman is only about 1/4 of the 8541's job you will be the eyes and ears of the Bn. and the protector of your marines, and when you and your spotter are all alone everything is personal! No one will like you, you and other snipers will not be accepted by the rest of the guys. Your only thanks will be a knuckle sandwich by a drunken marine for being a weirdo.
    Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to scare you off or anything like that, because good snipers are in short supply, just a little heads up on the future. SEemper Fi , good luck.

Wow, some of you really got some high scores! My score was only a 72. I plan on trying for Public Affairs. Good luck to you all!

What relationship exists between the AFQT and the ASVAB?

Happy New Year!

Steve

firstsgtmike
    Guest Free Member
    Steve,

I think their names says it all.

AFQT Armed Forces Qualification Test

ASVAB Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery

The AFQT is like an IQ test. The ASVAB measures potential in various broad aeas.

All such tests are essentially predictions. Limitations may be overcome. Potential may never be realized.

At best they are yardsticks to determine if the individual exceeded or failed to achieve expectations.

Registered User Free Member ktriplett's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I scored an 87 on the ASVAB and will be shipping out April 7. My MOS is Air Crew.

Congratulations ktriplett. Take a long look around our Poolee and Mentor forums. Lots of stuff to help ya out and even a couple of things fer parents and family members!

Credits
    Savings
    I scored a 90 on the ASVAB, and plan on going into Aviation Electronics. After I took it I was waiting on my recriuter to pick me up, and an army recriuter asked me what my score was. (He actually thought he could talk me out of joining the Marines, and go into the Army)

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'm a high school junior and got an 80/99 on my ASVAB and want to be an MP.

Thread Information