Reserve to active?
Create Post

Question Reserve to active?

I am joining the marine reserves for the first six years. I was wondering if I can go active-duty after my six-year contract is up for the reserves? I heard it was next to impossible to transfer to active-duty, however I do not know if it is possible to transfer after your reserve contract is up. Any military/veterans help clear me up on this? Thank you.

Similar Threads:

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    First learn how to spell Marines then come back and start over.

Question Marine reserve re-enlist as Matine active?

Marines*

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beastmode1607 View Post
    I am joining the marine reserves for the first six years. I was wondering if I can go active-duty after my six-year contract is up for the reserves? I heard it was next to impossible to transfer to active-duty, however I do not know if it is possible to transfer after your reserve contract is up. Any military/veterans help clear me up on this? Thank you.
    Yes it is possible but it is not as easy as just "transferring". The reserves and active duty are two completely different entities. When your 6-year obligation is up you would basically have to go back to a regular recruiter or a PSR who would be willing to put in the leg work for you to find an open billet and/or MOS for you in the fleet which is next to impossible. Open MOSs are reserved for new recruits and open billets for lat moves are reserved for NCO's and other active guys wanting stay in the Marine Corps and on active duty.

The best option for going active duty from the reserves is when your 6-year obligation is up you can put in for a AR(active reserves) package with a PSR. From AR you can typically re-enlist back into that job/MOS which would place you on actual active duty, no longer in the reserves or active reserves.

This is a long way down the road and completely based on your rank, pros/cons or FitRep, PFT, CFT, rifle qual, PME, MCIs, etc....if you are a garbage Marine the PSR will kick you out of his office real quick for wasting his time.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    It comes down to this.....

..If you want to be active duty then sign an active duty contract. Don't think you can skate by in the reserves, pick up some rank, and then when you're ready make the switch to make life easier on you.

That's a horrible idea.

Yes, it may be possible…but if you do end up switching over to ACTIVE DUTY, then you're in for a treat. No one is going to respect you. You'll pick up rank that you didn't truly earn. Active Duty and Reserves are two completely different aspects of the Marine Corps. I do not suggest doing this at all. Like suggested above, if you want to be active duty, go active duty. If not, go reserves and stay there.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC Sokol View Post
    That's a horrible idea.

Yes, it may be possible…but if you do end up switching over to ACTIVE DUTY, then you're in for a treat. No one is going to respect you. You'll pick up rank that you didn't truly earn. Active Duty and Reserves are two completely different aspects of the Marine Corps. I do not suggest doing this at all. Like suggested above, if you want to be active duty, go active duty. If not, go reserves and stay there.
    Care to explain this?

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by devilbones2 View Post
    Care to explain this?
    I am not sure what he meant by it either....

I more than earned my rank

Quote Originally Posted by devilbones2 View Post
    Care to explain this?
    I would assume he was in the realm of you will pick up very quickly especially if you are going from reserve to active.

example last year for my MOS the reserve score to pick up cpl was something like 1435 where as the active score to pick up was 1680 so you pretty much picked up cpl in my mos just for breathing in the reserves.

Say he transfers from reserve to active as a newly promoted NCO but doesnt know the first thing about being an NCO or even about how to do his job let alone supervise others doing their job.

Not sure if thats what he meant, just assuming.

Thread Information